wxWidgets + Windows + CMake

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
heinermueller
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

wxWidgets + Windows + CMake

Post by heinermueller » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi all,

what is the correct way to set up CMake with wxWidgets? Under Linux, all you have to do is

Code: Select all

find_package(wxWidgets COMPONENTS core base qa adv net html gl propgrid richtext REQUIRED)
and then include/link using the populated wxWidgets_USE_FILE/wxWidgets_LIBRARIES variables. Magic.
Under Windows, you have to point to the installation directory, e.g.

set(wxWidgets_ROOT_DIR "C:/wxWidgets-3.1.3")
set(wxWidgets_LIB_DIR "C:/wxWidgets-3.1.3/lib/vc14x_x64_dll")
But then the behavior is still strange. When i use CMake GUI (3.16, latest), behavior is like this

1. delete cache (just to be consistent)
2. press 'configure' button
--> fail:
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:146 (message):
Could NOT find wxWidgets (missing: wxWidgets_LIBRARIES
wxWidgets_INCLUDE_DIRS core base qa adv net html gl propgrid richtext)
3. press 'configure' button again
--> success
Found wxWidgets: debug;C:/wxWidgets-3.1.3/lib/vc14x_x64_dll/wxmsw31ud_core.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-3.1.3/lib/vc14x_x64_dll/wxmsw31u_core.lib;[...]found components: core base qa adv net html gl propgrid richtext png tiff jpeg zlib regex expat

I had the same behavior with a previous version of CMake-GUI (3.12). What is the correct way to set up wx under windows?

Best

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wxWidgets + Windows + CMake

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi,
Why do you need to use CMake?
Just compile you code with:

g++ `wx-config --cxxflags --libs` *.cpp -o <my_binary>
and enjoy.

Thank you.

P.S.: Unless you have a huge distributed software to compile. But in that case you should have some kind of IDE (Anjuta, C::B, C::L) to help you with that.

heinermueller
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by heinermueller » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi ONEEYEMAN,

thanks for the hint. Actually we do have a quite large software (packet, with multiple exe and libraries) to compile. CMake looks like a great solution, especially when developers refuse to work with e.g. xcode =)

The idea of having a single project-file, easily switching compilers, IDEs and platforms is really great. With CMake (and companions) we can set up a development system in Linux in literally 5-10 minutes. It is definitely worth the try. I had a look at the CMake FindwxWidgets.cmake module and found the maintainer email. I will point them to this thread, maybe they have some solution or hint, that would be great.
Best regards

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi,
So, on Windows I am using MSVC. And since 3.1.3 has a solution file that you can use to work from it will be much easier. And to build wx itself - there is already wx solution.
On *nix/Solaris I use a terminal to build wx and then I installed Anjuta, which has a template to start with the wx development - all you do is start it and create a new wx-based project.
Or you can install C::B which is completely wx based, which is actually perfect solution.

And I also use Terminal to build wx on OSX and then Xcode to build the application.
I don't know why anybody will refuser to do that - it will generate ready to use bundle.

But if they don't - C::B is your friend again. Remember - its a wx solution. And it has an integrated wx RAD tool to simplify creating the GUI.

Thank you.