Visual Studio.Net 2003 Wizard

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Visual Studio.Net 2003 Wizard

Post by priyank_bolia » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:45 pm

Guessing is there any wizard for Visual studio.NET that is free, any links. The wizard mentioned at the wxwidgets.org site is a dead link.
Last edited by priyank_bolia on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:48 am

Hmm... I guess there's no official one. There is http://www.litwindow.com/wxVisualSetup/index.html, but it's commercial.

In fact I do have my own wizard here. I based it on the old one posted on the wxWidgets site and integrated the intellisense stuff from litwindow (which is freely available).
It has been a while since I last revised it, but I can have a look at it and try to integrate the dynamic help and make an installer out of that. It won't be as good as the commercial one, but it should do the job.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:55 am

If I ever get around programming again, I will make one to demonstrate the wxTreeMultiCtrl XML wizard binding I am working on. Just for fun, and a bit for the need also, the "wizard" will generate a new project for me based upon the selection made. It is also important for me as "usability showcase" so I can figure out what might be missing from the functionality.

Right now I am happily playing with DB's, and creating a backup-revision tool which utilizes RAR for periodic backups of my source tree (saves me a lot of effort when I mess up).

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:34 am

Ok, I am working on it, may be releasing next week:

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:54 am

Looks very nice!

Could I add some suggestions?

Also add options to:

- Create a standard dialogblocks project file containing the file(s)
- Create a config object or section in the main form where default configs are handled like window pos remembering, etc
- Create an about box
- Create the accompanying bakefile
- Create a doxygen file
- Create a CMakeSetup.txt file

My idea of the wizard was providing as much options as possible to get a complete start environment, eliminating all standard things you need to do before you actually start programming.

This was the idea for me, ofcourse they are only suggestions ;-)
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:06 am

In the intial release, it won't be doing much, just a basic HelloWorld type, like in KDevelop, I would try to incorporate these things:
- Create a config object or section in the main form where default configs are handled like window pos remembering, etc
- Create an about box
- Create a doxygen file
Rest, I have no Idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:07 am

Hi!
Looks nice (and it saves me the time to polish up my own wizard :)).

Please add an option that adds the default wxWidgets dir to the project config (I use $WXDIR, but it can be set in the begining using my wizard).
Maybe add an option to integrate the help files into VS during installation ( here's a precomiled H2Help setup for 2.6.0 docs http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/contrib/htmlhelp2/).

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:34 am

Please add an option that adds the default wxWidgets dir to the project config (I use $WXDIR, but it can be set in the begining using my wizard).
I think, there should be no need, as Version 2.6.2 adds an environment variable known as $(WXWIN) AFAIK, and $(WXDIR) was used previously, not supported by much applications now.
Maybe add an option to integrate the help files into VS during installation ( here's a precomiled H2Help setup for 2.6.0 docs http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/contrib/htmlhelp2/).
Currently, I don't want to mix both.
integrated the intellisense stuff from litwindow (which is freely available).
I tried with it, but doesn't looks good, may be because I enjoys a free copy of Visual Assist.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:46 am

priyank_bolia wrote: I think, there should be no need, as Version 2.6.2 adds an environment variable known as $(WXWIN) AFAIK, and $(WXDIR) was used previously, not supported by much applications now.
I don't use the setup and thus wxWidgets never set any variables for me. I prefer WXDIR and I suppose there are people that don't set it at all, so such an option IMHO makes sense. But hey, it's up to you :D
priyank_bolia wrote: Currently, I don't want to mix both.
It was just an idea. Having the API integrated is an nice thing to have.
priyank_bolia wrote: I tried with it, but doesn't looks good, may be because I enjoys a free copy of Visual Assist.
It definitly does a better job than simply leaving it out. Visual Assits is better, but I wouldn't like a nagging version...

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:06 am

upCASE wrote: I don't use the setup and thus wxWidgets never set any variables for me. I prefer WXDIR and I suppose there are people that don't set it at all, so such an option IMHO makes sense. But hey, it's up to you :D
Only people with that much experience like you try to download the tars, rest like me never try such things. And there are not many genius like you. Also it makes the project and other things more cleaner and portable to use
$(WXWIN)\inlcude, etc. rather than
C:\Program Files\wxWidgets-2.6.1\include
or
D:\Program Files\wxWidgets-2.6.1\include
or
C:\wxWidgets-2.6.1\include
upCASE wrote: It was just an idea. Having the API integrated is an nice thing to have.
I know its a good software, but I couldn't find out it source files, only there is a setup, which I already uses and recommended it also in my article. I don't want to mix up two setups.
upCASE wrote: It definitly does a better job than simply leaving it out. Visual Assits is better, but I wouldn't like a nagging version...
I had added the widgets source path to the visual assist options, and so there is no need, and its not a nagging version..., can think as ... :D

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:15 am

priyank_bolia wrote: I know its a good software, but I couldn't find out it source files, only there is a setup, which I already uses and recommended it also in my article. I don't want to mix up two setups.
It gets installed via the h2reg tool. Once installed all the sources you need are in the path where you installed it. The magic action is done by h2reg.exe which in turn executes the h2reg_cmd.ini file. I tried updating it to 2.6.2, but so far I had no luck.

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:29 am

I tried updating it to 2.6.2, but so far I had no luck.
That't the problem, untill we have a knowledge how it works and installs, how can I mix it up. And offcourse, you don't want to close litwindow, by providing a free wizard, integrated help and intellisense for Visual Studio (Kidding) :D

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:39 am

priyank_bolia wrote: That't the problem, untill we have a knowledge how it works and installs, how can I mix it up. And offcourse, you don't want to close litwindow, by providing a free wizard, integrated help and intellisense for Visual Studio (Kidding) :D
I surely don't want to close litwindow. It's just that I think we can integrate these things, since it is possible.
I'll have a look at the help files again. I really wonder why they compile just fine, but won't show up in VS.

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:27 pm

I was thinking that there is no doubt which is the best editor in the world (Atleast for me). The problem with wxWidgets is the resource editor, how to draw dialogs, we can add a new item type, which creates a class and add a dialog, that class uses the xrc as usual and in the pre built event we can call the .rc to xrc convertor. Does I make myself clear?

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:22 am

Hi!
For the help file integration I just posted this topic http://wxwidgets.solidsteel.nl/viewtopic.php?p=21142