Couple of questions on using wxWidgets on VS.NET 2003 Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Post Reply
cpp
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Couple of questions on using wxWidgets on VS.NET 2003

Post by cpp » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:53 am

Sorry for all the questions, but im a complete noob in wxWidgets (plus my C++ skills are a bit rusty)

A- According to the Sticky FAQ in this forum, to compile wxWidgets i should:
3. Open wxWidgets-2.5.3\src\wxWindows.dsw (I use VS.NET 2003)
4. In Solution explorer select wxWindows project
5. Go to "Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library"
6. Change "Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)" to "Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)" for Debug configuration
7. Change "Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)" to "Multi-threaded (/MT)" for Release configuration
8. Press OK "
yet on install.txt (in the distribution) it sais:
"2. Open build\msw\wx.dsw, which has configurations for static
compilation or DLL compilation, and each of these available in
Unicode/ANSI, Debug/Release and wxUniversal or native variations.
Normally you'll use a static linking ANSI configuration.
Choose the Win32 Debug or Win32 Release configuration (or any other that
suits your needs) and use Batch Build to compile _all_ projects."
I followed the instructions on install.txt (NOT the ones on the FAQ). and it all compiled 100% OK.
Is this OK, or should i do it like it sais on the FAQ?

B- i want so configure VS.NET to Permanently use/find all the wx related stuff, assuming i am using Windows XP, and that i installed & built wxWidgets in D:\wxWidgets262, i assume i neet to add the following paths in VC via Tools->Options->VC++Directories (please correct me if im wrong):

for "include files": D:\wxWidgets262\include
for "Library files": D:\wxWidgets262\lib\vc_lib
for "Source files": D:\wxWidgets262\src (or is it D:\wxWidgets262\src\msw???)

are these settings OK? im i missing something?

Thank you very much for your patience.

leio
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:46 am
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
Contact:

Post by leio » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:23 pm

You should use the workspace/project files in the build directory. The ones in src/ are old and shouldn't be used (in fact there should be a dummy textfile added to the project, saying you shouldn't use it). No idea why the old one in src/ exists still.
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/

toxicBunny
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Couple of questions on using wxWidgets on VS.NET 2003

Post by toxicBunny » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:53 pm

cpp wrote:yet on install.txt (in the distribution) it sais:
"2. Open build\msw\wx.dsw, which has configurations for static
compilation or DLL compilation, and each of these available in
Unicode/ANSI, Debug/Release and wxUniversal or native variations.
Normally you'll use a static linking ANSI configuration.
Choose the Win32 Debug or Win32 Release configuration (or any other that
suits your needs) and use Batch Build to compile _all_ projects."
I followed the instructions on install.txt (NOT the ones on the FAQ). and it all compiled 100% OK.
Is this OK, or should i do it like it sais on the FAQ?
This is the way I always build wxWidgets. This should build the separate libraries. I think the project in the "src" directory is helpful if you want to build a single monolithic library that includes all the wxWidgets classes.
cpp wrote:B- i want so configure VS.NET to Permanently use/find all the wx related stuff, assuming i am using Windows XP, and that i installed & built wxWidgets in D:\wxWidgets262, i assume i neet to add the following paths in VC via Tools->Options->VC++Directories (please correct me if im wrong):

for "include files": D:\wxWidgets262\include
for "Library files": D:\wxWidgets262\lib\vc_lib
for "Source files": D:\wxWidgets262\src (or is it D:\wxWidgets262\src\msw???)

are these settings OK? im i missing something?

Thank you very much for your patience.
You don't need to add anything for the source files in the VC options since you have the libraries to link with. You also need to add an entry for the resource files, D:\wxWidgets262\include. This way you can add the standard wx resource file to your own resource file, "wx/msw/wx.rc".

-Scott

cpp
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Post by cpp » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks for your answers (and your patience for my noob questions)
You don't need to add anything for the source files in the VC options since you have the libraries to link with. You also need to add an entry for the resource files, D:\wxWidgets262\include. This way you can add the standard wx resource file to your own resource file, "wx/msw/wx.rc".
About the path to source files, i tought this was used by VS.NET so that Visual Assist (or Its built in IntelliSense) could display info. So ill reinstall / update Visual Assist and check if it works, if it doesnt, then ill add the source path.
As for the entry for resource files, i assume you mean i should add it on each project

toxicBunny
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Post by toxicBunny » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:37 pm

cpp wrote:About the path to source files, i tought this was used by VS.NET so that Visual Assist (or Its built in IntelliSense) could display info. So ill reinstall / update Visual Assist and check if it works, if it doesnt, then ill add the source path.
I've never added the path to the source files. I use VS2002 and VS2003. I've had Visual Assist installed without any problems using this setup, and it worked fine for me.
cpp wrote:As for the entry for resource files, i assume you mean i should add it on each project

cpp
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Post by cpp » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:42 pm

Thanks for your help.

Completely off topic: when i want to specify that someones reply (like yours for instance), helped me a LOT, and that it completely answered my question, i select "Assist" right? (or is it "Accept")?

Post Reply