src\wxWindows.dsw vs. build\msw\wx.dsw

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Post Reply
Dummy
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:29 am

src\wxWindows.dsw vs. build\msw\wx.dsw

Post by Dummy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:40 am

Hi,

what are the differents of building the library with src\wxWindows.dsw (as I did at wxWidgets-2.4.2) and build\msw\wx.dsw (as it is recommended in the install.txt)?

Are both ways possible?

Is the only different that with build\msw\wx.dsw the library is divided into many LIB-files?

Which point would you prefer? - And why?

I have troubles at my application and maybe the reason is the use of wrong LIBs!?

best regards

tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Austria

Re: src\wxWindows.dsw vs. build\msw\wx.dsw

Post by tiwag » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:58 am

Dummy wrote:Hi,

what are the differents of building the library with src\wxWindows.dsw (as I did at wxWidgets-2.4.2) and build\msw\wx.dsw (as it is recommended in the install.txt)? ...
guess why they recommend build\msw\wx.dsw ... because it works ! :P

Avi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Post by Avi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 am

This question was asked in the wxForum before... Search for it... I think someone said src\wxWindows.dsw is deprecated... I wonder why the wxWidgets devs still keep it around and not just remove it from the cvs/development. On the other hand, it is the only project file provided w/ wxWidgets which allows monolithic build (one lib) under Windows... (unless you "bake" your own project files from the bakefiles... :roll:

tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Austria

Post by tiwag » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:46 am

monolithic (and all other) build's are better built by using nmake from directory "build\msw"

Code: Select all

nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=release SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0
nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=debug   SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0

Dummy
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:29 am

Post by Dummy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:10 am

So both are possible, and the build\msw\wx.dsw is to prefer because the samples are based on it.

Many thanks,
Dummy

fx
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Post by fx » Tue May 22, 2007 12:53 am

tiwag wrote:monolithic (and all other) build's are better built by using nmake from directory "build\msw"

Code: Select all

nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=release SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0
nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=debug   SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0
Those 2 commands no longer work in wxWidgets-2.8.4. From "build\msw" directory, the above commands produce this error:
..\..\include\wx/platform.h(279) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'wx/chkconf.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'

stahta01
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Post by stahta01 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 pm

fx wrote:
tiwag wrote:monolithic (and all other) build's are better built by using nmake from directory "build\msw"

Code: Select all

nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=release SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0
nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=debug   SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=static USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=0
Those 2 commands no longer work in wxWidgets-2.8.4. From "build\msw" directory, the above commands produce this error:
..\..\include\wx/platform.h(279) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'wx/chkconf.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
It works all the time for me. Please read the answer in your other post.
Tim S

Post Reply