Tools for developing with wxWidgets Topic is solved

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
jpablo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Tools for developing with wxWidgets

Post by jpablo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:36 am

Hi everyone, i have been actively using wxWidgets for the past 3 o more years, i just love it, i have done many applications using wxWidgets including a protocol analyzer for the telecomm industry, i simply love it and i really think it is the best amoung all the other libraries like QT, BUT i think i know the reason why wxWidgets is not so popular, at least not as much as we would like it to be, and the reason is there is no tool for developing using wxWidgets, like QT Builder or Visual C,delphi, etc, i know there are many incomplete projects but most of them if not all are just dialog builders mantained by a guy in his/her free time, not a single one being a complete RAD tool with full support, so that only leaves wxWidgets to be used by the people that want and have the time to spend writing dialogs and position buttons on the frames, after a few years that i have been using wxWidgets i can do that quite fast enough but still is a time consuming task, it is a time you spend doing dialogs you could be spending finding a solution to the real problem, in this case you can consider the library to be a problem too instead of a tool used to solve the problem it becomes somehow a part of it and in my opinion this is the reason why wxWidgets is not so popular and i guess it will never be as much as we would like it to be as long as we dont have such a tool. the saying: "An operating system is as good as the tools that run on it" also applies for this situation: wxWidgets will be as good as the tools for developing using it. Dont get me wrong i love wxWidget and i will never stop using it but i think this is true. I m open the opinions about this.

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:32 am

I guess Visual Studio 2005 with Visual Assist and wxVS2005Integration and wxFormBuilder is the best that you need. Also there are a lot of tools available like:
* Code::Blocks A free C++ IDE based on wxWidgets
* MinGW Developer Studio is a simple C/C++ IDE for MinGW, written using wxWidgets and MinGW
* wxDesigner dialog editor/RAD tool
* DialogBlocks a dialog editor generating C++ and XRC
* wxGlade GUI designer for wxWidgets
* wxDev-C++ wxDev-C++ A variation of the Dev-C++ IDE that incorporates a form designer for wxWidgets
* wxFormBuilder An open source GUI designer for wxWidgets written in C++
* wxVS2005Integration wxWidgets Project and Class wizard for Visual Studio.NET 2005

Belgabor
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Belgabor » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:22 am

The only thing left to add is that Code::Blocks includes a form/dialog designer called wxSmith.

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:31 pm

These are all listed on the wiki as well on the following two pages with some short summaries:

1. http://wxwiki.org/Tools
2. http://wxwiki.org/List_of_Integrated_De ... vironments

I'm sure jpablo has seen most of those listed in the 3 years of using wxWidgets. I can see what you're getting at jpablo, though you also have to remember that wxWidgets doesn't charge money for licenses (which drives a majority of Qt Designer's and the other official tool's development). Also, the existing tools for wxWidgets only get as much attention as their fans can give them. All the open source editors have the power of the community to help them, but wxWidgets isn't nearly as wide-spread as Qt sadly.

I personally think that the existing tools for wxWidgets development are plenty adequate in my honest opinion though. Well, actually, I would like to see more work on tools to help with build systems, maybe a GUI bakefile editor. DialogBlocks does an amazing job both with design and integration with C++ and XRC, and isn't nearly as expensive as Qt ;). In fact, while I haven't used Qt Designer, from what I've seen, it doesn't have near the same amount of features as some of the wxWidgets tools.

jpablo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jpablo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:40 pm

tierra wrote:These are all listed on the wiki as well on the following two pages with some short summaries:

1. http://wxwiki.org/Tools
2. http://wxwiki.org/List_of_Integrated_De ... vironments

I'm sure jpablo has seen most of those listed in the 3 years of using wxWidgets. I can see what you're getting at jpablo, though you also have to remember that wxWidgets doesn't charge money for licenses (which drives a majority of Qt Designer's and the other official tool's development). Also, the existing tools for wxWidgets only get as much attention as their fans can give them. All the open source editors have the power of the community to help them, but wxWidgets isn't nearly as wide-spread as Qt sadly.

I personally think that the existing tools for wxWidgets development are plenty adequate in my honest opinion though. Well, actually, I would like to see more work on tools to help with build systems, maybe a GUI bakefile editor. DialogBlocks does an amazing job both with design and integration with C++ and XRC, and isn't nearly as expensive as Qt ;). In fact, while I haven't used Qt Designer, from what I've seen, it doesn't have near the same amount of features as some of the wxWidgets tools.

Thank you for all replies, i think every reply here is valuable so all know what we all think about that matther which in my personal opinion affects at some level the popularity of wxWidgets.