safety Development Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
cppwxwidgets
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

safety Development

Post by cppwxwidgets »

THE MAXIMUM STALABILITY ::
what is the issues that i should include in my program so that user can ==> turn of the computer by UNPLUGING THE PC POWER , and the program should not have any problem when the next time it runs
shb
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

have some kind of auto-save to the hard disk on regular intervals... otherwise it's hard to do better
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Maximum stability can never be achieved. The OS can acknowledge your save action, but may decide to write the data later to disk. So regular interval saving is one thing, but to make sure files do not get corrupted, also backup your last project that succesfully saved before saving a new one. If you use a database, put the database on a seperate server. This way when your machine goes down or your application crashes the database will be safe. If the machine goes down where the database is on, there are backups and transition logs to get it back. So what I am saying don't try too hard to get your application to be safe, most of that is out of your control anyway.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
cppwxwidgets
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by cppwxwidgets »

most of that is out of your control anyway.

i heard that linux os (that i am not familier with) can be Configured , what do you think about it? is it possible to configure the linux to provide resource for a program to run in real time mode, or provide some special service for an app
shb
Frank
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Frank »

Use a database that uses ACID and takes care of the write behind cache (of the os and the harddisk controller). Like SQLite.

Unplugging the computer while a transaction is in progress is a common test case for such databases.