Announcing a new multiplatform IDE: Chinook Developer Studio

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

http://www.degarrah.com/chinookfree.php

Chinook Developer Studio is a multi-platform C/C++ integrated development environment. Chinook provides a consistent environment across all platforms which enables developers to quickly build, test and deliver high performance applications.

Features:
- Integrated GNU GCC compiler
- Integrated GNU GDB debugger
- Custom build configurations
- Project / Class explorer
- Syntax highlighting
- Project templates

System Requirements:
- Linux : GTK+ 1.2 or higher
- BSD : GTK+ 1.2 or higher
- Windows : 2000, XP
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Seems like a nice IDE, how well does it work together with wxWidgets ?

By the way, when I want to download it, I get redirected to the forum which I need to register. Is that really necessary or a minor error?

Ohh and what are your intentions in the Pro version? I assume that one is not free. So it will contain all the features you list on the pro plus the free features? I think a feature matrix would be in place where you show what the pro has to offer over the free one.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
Avi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Avi »

I am wondering, does it use MinGW's GCC under Windows and the official GCC under Linux? If so, which GCC version for each?

EDIT: Same question regarding GDB...
geon
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by geon »

Looks suspictiously much like Dev-C++, with missing features.
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

RE:

> By the way, when I want to download it, I get redirected to the forum
> which I need to register. Is that really necessary or a minor error?

Yes I made it that way. I need to do this for one main reason:
1. Investment - Since I'm a businessman and this is a project has investors I have to provide some kind of information that can demonstrate interest.

> Ohh and what are your intentions in the Pro version? I assume
> that one is not free. So it will contain all the features you list on
> the pro plus the free features? I think a feature matrix would be
> in place where you show what the pro has to offer over the free one.

Yes have the same features as the free version. A comparison matrix is a great idea thank you.

CG
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

> I am wondering, does it use MinGW's GCC under Windows and the official > > GCC under Linux? If so, which GCC version for each?

Every platform will have the same version (if possible).

Currently:

Toolchains:
GCC:
Gcc 3.4.1
Gdb 6.*

Libraries:
GCC
wxWidgets 2.5.2
CppUnit 1.9.14
Sqlite 3.0.2
SqlitePlus July 24 04
TinyXML 2.3.2

CG
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

> Looks suspictiously much like Dev-C++, with missing features.

Pretty much all IDEs are trying to copy Visual Studio 6, so its more like Visual C++ 6 with missing features. :D

CG
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Since a lot of people are commenting on the forum login, I would say, remove it. What is there to invest? When people have to register to download, they probably won't anywayz. I have learned you have to make the download as EASY as possible. People are lazy. When they don't try it within one minute, they probably won't at all.

I would say, remove the forum login, make a download counter. Use the forum only for support and announcements.

Talking about investments, what will happen with my (email) login when I don't use the program but just wanted to look at it? Are you going to email me with other offers?

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

Jorg:
Since a lot of people are commenting on the forum login, I would say, remove it. What is there to invest? When people have to register to download, they probably won't anywayz. I have learned you have to make the download as EASY as possible. People are lazy. When they don't try it within one minute, they probably won't at all.

I would say, remove the forum login, make a download counter. Use the forum only for support and announcements.

CG:
Yes, I agree its a pain and it will stop people from downloading. But at this time its the best meter stick for a product like this.

If you have ever had to go through the investment process you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Its just like the bank when you are building a house. They dont give the full amount up front, the financing comes in phases. As you satisfy thier requirements at each phase, then the next sum of money is released.

Jorg:
What is there to invest?

CG:
I have to show the people that have invensted money in my company that there is intersest in Chinook. This is a very normal process.

Jorg:
Talking about investments, what will happen with my (email) login when I don't use the program but just wanted to look at it? Are you going to email me with other offers?

CG:
No, you will *NEVER* be emailed about products and your will *NEVER* be shared. However, you could be emailed from the fourm if you have private messages flagged to do so.

Thank you for the feedback.

CG
eros
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by eros »

Well, I just decided to register and download since I can't find a good IDE for linux.

I'll evaluate and comment later.
jb_coder
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jb_coder »

If I adjust my LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS to include a local plugin library path for Chinook Developer Studio, can I avoid the need to install it to /opt/chinook (or wherever wants to install it)?

Have you thought about the price yet? If it will help keep development going and support Chinook Developer Studio (as well as wxWidgets), I'm inclined to purchase a copy if the price is affordable.

I'm sure that most of us are glad that you're providing a free version as well.

Thanks again
cg
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by cg »

Hi,
If I adjust my LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS to include a local plugin library path for Chinook Developer Studio, can I avoid the need to install it to /opt/chinook (or wherever wants to install it)?
Chinook does not have to be installed in /opt/chinook. If you install it somewhere else then you have to create a symlink to /opt/chinook. This is going to be more important in future versions as Chinook will search for toolchains, config files, project templates and so on.
Have you thought about the price yet? If it will help keep development going and support Chinook Developer Studio (as well as wxWidgets), I'm inclined to purchase a copy if the price is affordable.
We are still finalizing a price that will include a 10% donation to the open source groups that Chinook was built with. The final product will be under $1000 CAD. We will also release an early adopter version at a reduced price.

Thanks for trying out Chinook.

CG