Label on bitmapButton

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Qasim
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Label on bitmapButton

Post by Qasim »

Hi. Is it possible to have a label on bitmap button as well as bitmap. I am trying but only getting bitmap and no label. I am doing some thing like this...

Code: Select all

wxBitmap* bmpButton = new wxBitmapButton(myframe, -1, buttonBMP, wxPoint(-1,-1), wxSize(-1,-1), wxBU_RIGHT);
bmpButton->SetLabel("MyButton");
Any help will be appreciated.
Who doubts nothing, Knows nothing
JimFairway
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by JimFairway »

Hi,

First, I think you have a typo in your example, it should be wxBitmapButton *bmpButton instead of wxBitMap.

If you want to overlay the label on the bitmap, you can use wxMemoryDC as follows:

Code: Select all

wxMemoryDC memDC(buttonBMP);
	if (memDC.IsOk()) {
		memDC.DrawText(wxT("MyButton"),0,0);
	}

wxBitmapButton* bmpButton = new wxBitmapButton(myframe, -1, buttonBMP, wxPoint(-1,-1), wxSize(-1,-1), wxBU_RIGHT);
Check
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.6.3/wx_wxmemorydc.html and
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.6/wx_wxdc.html
for more info.

Jim
Qasim
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Qasim »

sorry that was tying mistake. I wanted to clear the point that if wxBitmapButton was derived from wxButton, then why we cant set label to button, as well as bitmap (reather than drawing to it)
Who doubts nothing, Knows nothing
JimFairway
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by JimFairway »

Hi,

The way it's set up makes sense to me (I didn't write the code).

I think of it as they are both buttons with the same or similar behavior (enable, clicking, etc.) and one has a text label and the other has a bitmap on it.

The fact that one derives from the other is matter of convenience and maintainability for the developers.

Rather than a label on a bitmap, what about a bitmap button with a tool tip to provide the guidance text?

Jim
Lloyd
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Lloyd »

A bitmap button cant have a label. In that case you can prepare the bitmap with the particular label, and if you want to change the label during run time, change the bitmap.
JimFairway
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by JimFairway »

Agreed, hence my first post.