WANTED: Movie editor type plugin

If you have a cool piece of software to share, but you are not hosting it officially yet, please dump it in here. If you have code snippets that are useful, please donate!
Sparkash
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

WANTED: Movie editor type plugin

Post by Sparkash »

Hi,

I've been using wxWidgets for a short time now developing an editor for an animation system. I was recently talking to a collegue who said that he had heard of a plugin previously written for wx that would fit my needs.

I need a sort of timeline editor similar to what you would find in any movie editor application. Some of the features it might include would be the ability to add and remove different tracks, zoom in and out of the timeline, and resize the tracks.

Is anyone aware of a plugin that might fit my needs?

Cheers.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

AFAIK, there is no such thing exist. You are asking for a very specific control. The best is to look into open source application, and find it there how they do it. But most of the applications I guess should be under GPL, which means you will have very limited options.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Although I never heard of such a control and I doubt that there is one, I think you might find looking at the audacity sources (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) helpful. It's written in wxWidgets, but it is an audio editor. Still it has tracks you can add, zoom, delete, mark, etc. Maybe you can adapt some of their code.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Please be aware that http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity license is GPL, copying any piece will violate the legal license.
Sparkash
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Sparkash »

Thanks for the responses. The track system in Audacity does seem to fit what I wanted mine to do.

@ priyank_bolia - I'm not sure I understand. I thought GPL allowed you to modifiy the code in any way you desire? As long as if you release it to the public, you release the source code also and reference the used code? Is this not how it works?
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

To make sure of that consult this FAQ
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Sparkash wrote:@ priyank_bolia - I'm not sure I understand. I thought GPL allowed you to modifiy the code in any way you desire? As long as if you release it to the public, you release the source code also and reference the used code? Is this not how it works?
To my understanding, you want to use the code for closed proprietary software. GPL does allow to use and modify the source, but any program that uses GPL code, has to show all the code that is referencing it. This is done to protect the hard work of the developers who wrote the code for end masses.
I am not a lawyer, so can anyone correct me if I am wrong.