wxDevC++ future ??? Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
BobSelby
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxDevC++ future ???

Post by BobSelby »

What is the status of this project?? wxDev is ideal for my needs but I notice that the two "alpha" developer sites have dissapeared. Is this a sign that the project has been dropped or superceeded??

I'm more than happy to help with alpha testing, if that helps, though I'm afraid I dont have the time to help with development.
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

The main developers can give you a much better answer than this. At least one of the developers has recently quit the project. The other members are very active.

At present there is a lot of work going into seperating the form design from the DevCpp code and creating a plugin system for the form designer code. This should make it easier to make changes in the future.

It may seem a long wait until the next release and the biggest changes wont necessarily be obvious, but they are well worth waiting for.

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
BobSelby
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BobSelby »

OK Thanks :-)
tbreina

Re: wxDevC++ future ???

Post by tbreina »

BobSelby wrote:What is the status of this project?? wxDev is ideal for my needs but I notice that the two "alpha" developer sites have dissapeared. Is this a sign that the project has been dropped or superceeded??

I'm more than happy to help with alpha testing, if that helps, though I'm afraid I dont have the time to help with development.
As Sof.T said, Joel has left the project. However, it's always been a recreational project for many of the developers anyway; so the progress should be as slow as always. :lol:

It'll definitely have at least one more big release. I'm still waiting on Guru to review some code that will officially modularize the wx stuff from the Dev-C++ stuff (so that the wx stuff is loaded dynamically and can be turned off if desired-- not sure why you'd want to though ;>) ).

The hope is that-- with modularization-- we'll be able to develop a generic plugin system (for Delphi and C++ derived code). This way you won't be beholden on the developers for updates, but could code your own modules for enhancements if you desire.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
alchemist
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by alchemist »

hello,

and what about to merge with other IDE projects like Code::Blocks ? ;)
Kind Regards,
Xavier Miller.
http://xaviermiller.be
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

alchemist wrote:hello,

It's not possible to merge our code with Code::Blocks. Everything in wxDev-C++ is currently written in Delphi. Code:Blocks is C++.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
alchemist
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by alchemist »

ah thanks for the info ;)
Kind Regards,
Xavier Miller.
http://xaviermiller.be
the_drow
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by the_drow »

If only I knew Delphi...
Pity that Joel left the project.
Anyone knows what happened to the original Dev-Cpp?
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

the_drow wrote:Anyone knows what happened to the original Dev-Cpp?
Still going "strong".
You can still download the source and build the latest version, provide patches and report bugs.

It's just not as obviously active as the wx variant.

Currently there is/was some discussion going on as to the vanilla DevC++ implementing the changes suggested by Estaban (buildere) in order for the designer to be used as a plugin with vanilla DevC++, which would allow the designer team to concentrate purely on the designer, and not have to worry about the IDE at all. I am unsure as to where the discussions are exactly.

Basically the development (in any case as far as I am concerned) is paused, until we separate the designer code from the IDE code, producing a purely plug in designer. Once this happens, and the plug in API is made known, development on the designer will probably continue, as well as other plugins (I want to see a code beautifier plugin, as well as stretch tabs, and I also did some preliminary work on implementing a wxWizard designer), however I don't believe that there will be any major improvements to the designer until the plugin change has been implemented. I for one have (at the moment) no idea what the ramifications are going to be wrt what I wish to implement.

Bear in mind that I am also "officially" off the team, so I may be talking out of turn and my words are not to be taken as gospel.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

tbreina wrote:
alchemist wrote:hello,

It's not possible to merge our code with Code::Blocks. Everything in wxDev-C++ is currently written in Delphi. Code:Blocks is C++.

-Tony
Well, that's not exactly definitive. It happens that since the wxDesigner is a plugin, a C++ wrapper could "theoretically" be made in order to map Code::Blocks plugin API to the Delphi calls used on the plugin. I even took a look at this some time ago, but since the designer was stuck along the rest of DevCpp's code I abandoned the idea. Now it would be worth taking a second look. As part of my job to "stabilize it" I will probably take some cues from C::B's API and try to make our's a little more compatable with it, to make it easier (or at least possible) to port our plugin there sometime. I'm not sure how it could work, but there's at least some hope.
indigo0086
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by indigo0086 »

Anyone know if there are builds out there that use checkboxes in the properties menu instead of drop-downs?
rosswg
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by rosswg »

About 2+ years ago. I was trying to get something going using Dev-c. It was then a popular pastime to post a question on the site asking in effect whether there was any future. Well it is 2+ years later, and they are still going strong, and it is 2+ years later and wxDev-C++ is still going strong as well.
During this time I was compelled to use a 'professional product' for development. It cost me 20% of my development time just to work through the bugs in it. It took them 18months to clear some major glitches in their product. Today I still regularly have to restart the IDE because of bugs and errors. Under fairly common conditions it takes 10+minutes for the debug to run, and this in a duo-core 2gig mem vista computer.
During development the ide ran out of memory twice and I had to divide the project in half both times.
The message is:-
Don't worry about where either this project or Dev-c is going.
They are doing just great.
haroldjpa
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

RE:

Post by haroldjpa »

Pues yo tambien he durado mucho tiempo buscando un proyecto que sea similar al wxDev-C++, pero no existe, tambien he aprendido a convivir con los multiples BuGS del este IDE, creo que existe mucha gente que estaria dispuesta a ayudar con el desarrollo de wxDevCpp pero el limitante es que esta hecho en Delphi y pues es mas facil encontrar programadores para c++, El wxDevCpp a evolucionado bastante desde que lo conoci hace 4 a
Si sabes espa