new development version of wxFormBuilder

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

new development version of wxFormBuilder

Post by jhurtado »

Hi,
a new development version (20050327) of the RAD tool wxFormBuilder has been published. In this version you can integrate custom components with a plugin.

dowload: http://software-libre.org/project/showf ... roup_id=71
homepage: http://wxformbuilder.software-libre.org/

Regards,

Jose Antonio.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Nice work!. I like it. But there are some remarks.
- Why is it possible to add sizers to wxButton, wxTextCtrl etc
- Codegeneration works fine, but GUI doesn't appear (but the GUI of the exapmples is shown)
- mingwm10.dll needed (it is 16 kb size, so maybe it will be good to include it into distribution? )

PS: I remember that it is only a development version
eco
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by eco »

Looks very nice.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

T-Rex wrote:Nice work!. I like it. But there are some remarks.
- Why is it possible to add sizers to wxButton, wxTextCtrl etc
It's a bug, thanks.
T-Rex wrote:- Codegeneration works fine, but GUI doesn't appear (but the GUI of the exapmples is shown)
I don't know what you mean...
T-Rex wrote: - mingwm10.dll needed (it is 16 kb size, so maybe it will be good to include it into distribution? )
You are right, I will include it in a new version.

Thanks.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

I mean that Designer doesn't work correctly
If I open an example, Designer shows all controls, but when I create my own project:
+wxFrame
--+wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL)
----+wxPanel
------+wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL)
--------+wxButton
--------+wxButton
only top-level element (wxFrame) is shown. I can see wxPanel and wxButton
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

T-Rex wrote:I mean that Designer doesn't work correctly
If I open an example, Designer shows all controls, but when I create my own project:
+wxFrame
--+wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL)
----+wxPanel
------+wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL)
--------+wxButton
--------+wxButton
only top-level element (wxFrame) is shown. I can see wxPanel and wxButton
Try to change layout properties for wxPanel, setting wxEXPAND and proportion = 1.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Now it works fine :)
But wxBoxSizer must stretch the inserted control by default even if it's stetch-factor (proportion) is 0, when it is the only control in this sizer.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Try this code:

Code: Select all

#include <wx/wx.h>
#include <wx/notebook.h>

class MyApp : public wxApp
{
public:
	virtual bool OnInit();
};

IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp)

bool MyApp::OnInit()
{
	wxFrame * frame = new wxFrame(NULL, -1, "Test");	
	wxPanel * panel = new wxPanel(frame, -1);	
	wxBoxSizer * sizer = new wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL);
	frame->SetSizer(sizer);	
	sizer->Add(panel, 0, wxALL|wxALIGN_CENTER_HORIZONTAL, 5);
	frame->Show();
	SetTopWindow(frame);
	return true;
}
As you can see,proportion of the panel is 0, but the panel is visible (its size is 20x20 by default), could you implement such thing in your Designer. It makes the work far more easier.
- If I add a new control, it doesn't become selected automatically. It will be nice if you fix this.
- If i select "wxWindow" or "C++" or "Layout" tab of "OBJECT PROPERTIES", when editing the properties of the control (e.g. wxPanel), if I select another control, the first tab of "OBJECT PROPERTIES" becomes active. It is inconveniently.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

T-Rex wrote:As you can see,proportion of the panel is 0, but the panel is visible (its size is 20x20 by default), could you implement such thing in your Designer. It makes the work far more easier.
It is not an standard behaviour, if you compile that code with wxWidgets 2.4.2 the panel is not visible.
T-Rex wrote: - If I add a new control, it doesn't become selected automatically. It will be nice if you fix this.
- If i select "wxWindow" or "C++" or "Layout" tab of "OBJECT PROPERTIES", when editing the properties of the control (e.g. wxPanel), if I select another control, the first tab of "OBJECT PROPERTIES" becomes active. It is inconveniently.
Yes, I will add these remarks to my "To-Do" list.

Thanks.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Maybe it will be more conveniently to create grid-based property editor instead of tab-based.
wxPropertyGrid component is more compact.
wxPropertyGridManager allows to create several tabs with grids. So, you can create one tab for properties and one tab for event handlers.
Linkku
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Linkku »

Please include boost and TinyXML in next version. I have some errors when trying to create tinyxml.a file for compiling and boost files give me some errors too...
--- http://linkku.has.it ---

- Debian Etch, KDevelop3, Anjuta2, wxWidgets CVS, GCC 3.3
- Windows XP, wxDevCpp, wxWidgets 2.6.1
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

Linkku wrote:Please include boost and TinyXML in next version. I have some errors when trying to create tinyxml.a file for compiling and boost files give me some errors too...
Ok, I'll do it.

I supose (watching the Tux picture ;-)) that you tried to compile on Linux. Last version is not tested on Linux but previous is tested correctly.

Please see README.txt file, and if you have problems I will thank you a more detailed description on wxFormBuilder forum:

http://software-libre.org/forum/new.php ... roup_id=71

Thanks.
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: new development version of wxFormBuilder

Post by gururamnath »

jhurtado wrote:Hi,
a new development version (20050327) of the RAD tool wxFormBuilder has been published. In this version you can integrate custom components with a plugin.
Hi,
The Project looks promising. I'm not sure what you have in mind about this Designer. If you are going to let this grow as an independent project, I really don
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: new development version of wxFormBuilder

Post by jhurtado »

gururamnath wrote:But if you are planning to make this a full fledged IDE kinda thing, I would ask you not to re-invent the wheel.
I have no intentions on coding a full featured IDE, only a GUI designer, there are very good open source IDEs.
gururamnath wrote:Even if your project is just a Form designer, people eventually will start asking you to add a feature to compile the code directly and then to edit the code when compiling etc.
I think that it is not necessary for be useful. I don't like the feature of editing code generated (DialogBlocks does this). I think that it is better derive a new class from generated class and add your custom handlers on it. So, you can regenerate GUI code without problems.
gururamnath wrote:I had this experience when developing wx-devcpp. Initially I started out as a Form Designer...
The first time that I saw wxDevC++ I really like it, even I was looking source code. But I found a potencial problem on it (for my needs). I think remember that you use VCL controls (from Borland Delphi) for designer and not wxWidgets controls, this is a problem when you want add custom widgets.

I don't know exactly how you implemented sizers and controls but if you have to "emulate" wxWidgets component behaviour development can become a hell!.
gururamnath wrote:Code::Blocks seems to be budding IDE for wx. Try Code::Blocks or just pickup some opensource wx IDE and make a provision to add wxFormBuilder as a part of it and reduce your work on the IDE part of the wxFormDesigner
Yes, a codeblocks developer contact me in order to integrate wxFormBuilder with it. I gave him information about wxformBuilder internals for that. I think wxFormBuilder is an app easy to understand, it has small code length and writting custom libs of components is really easy.
gururamnath wrote:Good luck with your project.
Thanks.

Jose Antonio.
Stephen-P
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Stephen-P »

Tried the site listed, both links seem to be down. Is there a mirror site?

Steve