Testers wanted for next version!

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
tbreina

Testers wanted for next version!

Post by tbreina »

Esteban has produced a new "plugin" version of wxDev-C++ which I hope will be the future look of the project. The basic idea is that vanilla Dev-C++ has been updated to allow for modules (Delphi and C++) which can plugin at runtime. He's moved all of the wx form designer code to its own plugin as the first big test.

What we need from you:
We need alpha/beta testers who are willing to just see if the next version works on their machines. We're hoping to get people from all of the various platforms (XP, 2000, NT, Vista, etc.) to make sure that the new design works as promised.

How to get it:
I've added a devpak called plugin_devpak.DevPak to the WebUpdate page. You should just be able to go to Tools->Check for Updates/Packages and grab the "Latest plugin Alpha" from the wxDev-C++ devpaks server (don't confuse it with the latest alpha). I've named the executable devcpp_plugin.exe (so that it doesn't interfere with your current devcpp.exe). Just make sure to run that executable. Hopefully, it will take you through the new setup pages as well (e.g. setup the language, code completion cache, etc.). If not, please let us know (especially if you have problems).

Feel free to PM either me or buildere with questions/problems/complaints. Please also make sure to post if you are successful (include your platform too).

Thanks in advance.
-Tony
Last edited by tbreina on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Testers wanted for next version!

Post by buildere »

tbreina wrote: Hopefully, it will take you through the new setup pages as well (e.g. setup the language, code completion cache, etc.).
One question Tony: does that mean that the current profile settings get overwrited? If so, I advice every tester to make a backup of the settings files inside "Documents and Settings\XXXXX\AppData\Dev-Cpp".
And if the old profile is used with the plugin version, it will not work.

---
Oh, and thanks for making the devpack. I will still give it a try myself.
tbreina

Re: Testers wanted for next version!

Post by tbreina »

buildere wrote:One question Tony: does that mean that the current profile settings get overwrited? If so, I advice every tester to make a backup of the settings files inside "Documents and Settings\XXXXX\AppData\Dev-Cpp".
And if the old profile is used with the plugin version, it will not work.

---
Oh, and thanks for making the devpack. I will still give it a try myself.
My profile got overwritten when I tried the new plugin version for the first time. However, I didn't do anything to cause this so I don't know if it will work for everyone.

As buildere points out, the profile/configuration files are usually in C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\[username]\Dev-Cpp (where [username] is your Windows user name). If you can't find it, search for devcpp.ini and make a back up.

-Tony
spedgenius
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by spedgenius »

So how would i go about testing the plug-in capabilities?
spedgenius
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by spedgenius »

which by the way i am excited about, since this will allow the comunity to supply new featurs at a faster pace, and also alow the developers to focus on fixing bugs
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

spedgenius wrote:So how would i go about testing the plug-in capabilities?
If you don't have the current version, download it from the project website, install it and then follow the instructions provided by Tony:
You should just be able to go to Tools->Check for Updates/Packages and grab the "Latest plugin Alpha" from the wxDev-C++ devpaks server (don't confuse it with the latest alpha). I've named the executable devcpp_plugin.exe (so that it doesn't interfere with your current devcpp.exe). Just make sure to run that executable. Hopefully, it will take you through the new setup pages as well (e.g. setup the language, code completion cache, etc.). If not, please let us know (especially if you have problems).
Then you can contact us via this forum, or using the mailing lists wxdsgn-devs#AT#lists.sourceforge.net

The current version is not adding directory entries for wx projects, so you must add them in project options, in order to compile:

Under include directories:

c:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include
c:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include\common

Under resources directories:

c:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include\common
spedgenius
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by spedgenius »

actually i have already done that, what i was trying to ask was. how would i create plugins for wxdev. is there an api?
and what is the procedure for compiling?
I have installed it and it ran great except for a problem with the form migration tool which i have already told tony about. I like the new features and organization with the floating windows. I havent looked around it much but what i see so far seems good.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

Ok, I misunderstood you.

There will be an API published, along with tutorials, samples, etc, but we are reserving that for the post-next release and the reason is the following:

The current API was designed almost to "brute force" the designer code to work decoupled from the rest of the code, as it did until now. So, it is kind of "optimized" for the designer plugin only. The job of refactorization was massive so we couldn't both make the old code work independly and desing a proper general-plugin interface and at the same time. So the next release will have the designer running as a plugin, but the API will not be public until the following one.

Anyway, if you are curious you can check the sources at the SVN web interface, in the plugin branch, and check a folder called "plugins" inside "source". There, a dir called "interfaces" has the files for the current state of the API.
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj »

While I would like to take part in testing, I have had some "ugly" experiences with test versions that potentially threaten the major project I am working on, and make me a little apprehensive about participating.

Can someone specify how to run multiple versions of wxDev-C++ at the same time so that I don't screw up my major project and can run that from a stable version while at the same time have a testing version where I can create new projects and tests purely for testing the latest version.

I feel that perhaps more people would participate if there were clear instructions on how to set up a separate "test" version of wxDev-C++ that wouldn't interfere with their main work.

I am running XP Pro.

Regards,

Peter
Using Win XP, Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 wx-beta 6.9
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Peterj wrote:While I would like to take part in testing, I have had some "ugly" experiences with test versions that potentially threaten the major project I am working on, and make me a little apprehensive about participating.

Can someone specify how to run multiple versions of wxDev-C++ at the same time so that I don't screw up my major project and can run that from a stable version while at the same time have a testing version where I can create new projects and tests purely for testing the latest version.

I feel that perhaps more people would participate if there were clear instructions on how to set up a separate "test" version of wxDev-C++ that wouldn't interfere with their main work.

I am running XP Pro.

Regards,

Peter
To be 110% safe, you should try to find a computer you don't use for your important programming.

To be 99.999% safe, you'll need to make backups of your projects (at least the ones you intend to test) and the devcpp.ini file (which is usually in C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\{username}\Dev-Cpp).

Again, if you're still feeling apprehensive, then by all means you're not required to test things out for us.

My primary goal in this test is to make sure that the new version will actually run on someone else's machine.

-Tony
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

Remember also that the DevPack created by Tony for this plugin testing does not replace your current wx-devcpp installation. It just adds the new files for the testing and a new executable (devcpp_plugin.exe) so you execute that file for testing the plugin, and the regular devcpp.exe for regular work, effectively having 2 installations side by side as you wanted.

Anyway, the recommendations from Tony may also apply. I think the most important thing is to backup your project files.
spedgenius
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by spedgenius »

that is what works for me. i just put both executables in the same folder and run them both. i also have a large project that i dont want to use the plugin version on, so use the old one for that and just start new projects with the new one.