wxGrid and Excel

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Eric Bonvins
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxGrid and Excel

Post by Eric Bonvins »

How can I save a wxGrid in a "real xls" file (not a "csv" one) ?
And how can I open a "xls" file using a wxGrid ?

Is there any code about this ?

Thanks a lot ;)
Windows XP SP2
Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2
wxWidgets 2.4.2
Avi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Avi »

Well, I guess you'll have to find some document describing the structure of a .xls file, and then provide some parsing function that will bridge between reading the file and writing the information to your wxGrid. For the structure of xls, you could probably search it up in google or, even check if OpenOffice has some developer documents describing it. :!:
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

There was a discussion on the wx-users list a few months ago on this topic, maybe you can pull useful information from there

HTH,
_Ryan Wilcox
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com
Cursor
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Cursor »

If you are on windows, you can use wxAutomationObject with the excel (office in general) automation-interface.

In fact, the automation interface (function names) is really near the visual basic for excel.
You can found all the excel automation API on the integrate visual basic editor of excel (on xp I found it menu:tools/macro/Visual basic editor) and on the visual basic editor menu:show/object explorer (I dont know its name in english, I have the french version) and a tree with all properties and method is display.

On http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.5.4/ ... tionobject , you have little example on using automation on excel.

Good luck ;)
Eric Bonvins
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Eric Bonvins »

Thanks.
Windows XP SP2
Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2
wxWidgets 2.4.2
vsp
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by vsp »

I feel it is better to go ahead writng a parser if you want to have a clean implementation which will take a lot of time.

But just you want to change some properties of xl sheet wxAutomation will be right choice.
HeReSY
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by HeReSY »

There is agood side in the web, where you can find a lot of information about the different formats.

http://www.wotsit.org

HeReSY