wxWidgets 2.8.4 Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
fx
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxWidgets 2.8.4

Post by fx »

Hi,

As of April 28, 2007, wxWidgets 2.8.4 has more fixes than 2.8.3 including a regression introduced in 2.8.3.

Given this, will 2.8.4 be released soon? Are there any other bugs that need to be done before 2.8.4 is released?

Is there anything we can do to help speed up the release of 2.8.4? I can certainly help test 2.8.4 release candidates if they're made available.

Changelog for wxWidgets 2.8.4 (as of April 28, 2007)
-----

All:

- Fix bug in wxFileConfig when recreating a group (Steven Van Ingelgem)

All (Unix):

- Handle socket shutdown by the peer correctly in wxSocket (Tim Kosse)

All (GUI):

- Allow status bar children in XRC (Edmunt Pienkowski)

wxMSW:

- Corrected wxStaticBox label appearance when its foreground colour was set:
it didn't respect font size nor background colour then (Juan Antonio Ortega)
- Don't lose combobox text when it's opened and closed (Kolya Kosenko)
- Corrected GetChecked() for events from checkable menu items (smanders)
- Fixed popup menus under Windows NT 4
- Fixed bug in wxThread::Wait() in console applications introduced in 2.8.3
- Support right-aligned/centered owner drawn items in wxListCtrl (troelsk)
- Compilation fixed with WXWIN_COMPATIBILITY_2_6==0

wxGTK:

- Fix infinite loop when adding a wxStaticText control to a toolbar
- Fix wxNO_BORDER style for wxRadioBox (David Hart)
- Fix wxTextCtrl::GetLineText() for empty lines (Marcin Wojdyr)

wxMac:

- Fix wxComboBox::SetSelection(wxNOT_FOUND) (Adrian Secord)

wxUniv:

- Fix wxTextCtrl::SetSelection(-1, -1) to behave as documented (Anders Larsen)
- Fix wxComboBox::SetSelection(wxNOT_FOUND)
- Fix setting background colour for controls with transparent background
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

Chris Elliot (I hope I got his name right) suggested that they release on Monday (April 30), but Vadim Zeitlin prefers it on a Tuesday (May 1). So... yeah it should be soon.

Joel
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Also, there's http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.8.4-rc1/

Regards,

David
fx
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by fx »

DavidHart wrote:Hi,

Also, there's http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.8.4-rc1/

Regards,

David
Thanks!

I noticed on Wednesday, May 2, 2007, that there's now a 2.8.4 RC2 at:

http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.8.4-rc2/

IMHO, I think RC's should get more publicity on main website (news section) to allow more users to test before release.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

fx wrote:IMHO, I think RC's should get more publicity on main website (news section) to allow more users to test before release.
The actual 2.8.4 release will likely happen in a few days, and if you're not on the wx-dev list, you're probably not going to notice it in the news within a few days of the actual release coming out unless you subscribe with an RSS reader or something. It's usually enough to announce it on the wx-dev list, where those that will actually test it are usually subscribed and read it daily.

wxWidgets also wouldn't want to give regular users the impression that it's a solid release that they should use rather than the official release when it's out, or waste their time with it when they're going to need to upgrade within the week.
fx
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by fx »

tierra wrote:
fx wrote:IMHO, I think RC's should get more publicity on main website (news section) to allow more users to test before release.
wxWidgets also wouldn't want to give regular users the impression that it's a solid release that they should use rather than the official release when it's out, or waste their time with it when they're going to need to upgrade within the week.
It looks like 2.8.0 RC1 and RC3 announcements are still visible on the home page. However, no RC of subsequent releases were mentioned so I was just wondering if it was overlooked.

Does anyone know what happened to 2.8.4? It looked like it was going to be released within several days (twice) but then silence. I checked the dev mailing list archives, too.
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

fx wrote: Does anyone know what happened to 2.8.4? It looked like it was going to be released within several days (twice) but then silence. I checked the dev mailing list archives, too.
wx2.8.4-rc2 had bugs for windows; it appeared to be OK for Linux. No idea on Mac.

I would guess that this weekend an rc3 will be done, but its an guess based on no input from the wx-dev team.

Tim S
fx
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by fx »

stahta01 wrote:
fx wrote: Does anyone know what happened to 2.8.4? It looked like it was going to be released within several days (twice) but then silence. I checked the dev mailing list archives, too.
wx2.8.4-rc2 had bugs for windows; it appeared to be OK for Linux. No idea on Mac.

I would guess that this weekend an rc3 will be done, but its an guess based on no input from the wx-dev team.

Tim S
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for RC3 and will try to test it on Windows XP. I hope it is announced so more users can test it to catch regressions like the one introduced in 2.8.3.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

fx wrote:Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for RC3 and will try to test it on Windows XP. I hope it is announced so more users can test it to catch regressions like the one introduced in 2.8.3.
Chris has mentioned today that he is planning on spinning the official 2.8.4 release on Monday. There is one or two last bugs in the queue to be fixed before that's spun, but they should be taken care of by Monday.
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

tierra wrote:
fx wrote:Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for RC3 and will try to test it on Windows XP. I hope it is announced so more users can test it to catch regressions like the one introduced in 2.8.3.
Chris has mentioned today that he is planning on spinning the official 2.8.4 release on Monday. There is one or two last bugs in the queue to be fixed before that's spun, but they should be taken care of by Monday.
This morning 2.8.4 was uploaded to ftp site; so far I have seen no official announcement on sf.net.
ftp://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.8.4

Tim S