need some hints -embedding moziila

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Lloyd
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

need some hints -embedding moziila

Post by Lloyd »

Hi,
For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to build mozilla and to embed it with wxWidgets 2.6.3 on Linux. Still I am not successful :( Has anybody successfully built Mozilla and run the wxEmbed test application in it? Can anybody help me to select the mozilla package (which version 1.5, 1.7 etc..).

In the readme file of wxEmbed, What I understood is it is meant for only wx2.4 on windows with static build...

Would anybody throw some light on this problem?

I have compiled wxMozilla on fedora core 5 and I treid it. But I am not able to load images from the disk to the browser. The code which works with wxHtmlwindow also not working with this!

Awaiting atleast for some hints to solve this. I cant continue my work until a good browser is embedded with my application :(

Thanks and Regards,
Lloyd
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

I never got wxMozlla to compile, since their release was nearly 2 years ago (and they were still using 2.4.2). I'm not sure if anyone here for that matter got wxMozilla to work, since after compiling my program crashed on startup. This may very well be caused by me using Unicode in wxWidgets, but I don't really know, lol.

Joel
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

I have heard tale of a wxWebKit in the dev's list. Might want to check and see if you can find anything about that there. It is my understand that is to replace the wxMozilla, and other browser classes to date. If you successfully find that, and get it working please post, and give some links or something as I will need a similar functionality in the future.

JS
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

JSThePatriot wrote:I have heard tale of a wxWebKit in the dev's list. Might want to check and see if you can find anything about that there. It is my understand that is to replace the wxMozilla, and other browser classes to date. If you successfully find that, and get it working please post, and give some links or something as I will need a similar functionality in the future.

JS
My understanding is that wxWebKit is a native HTML mac component. However, i believe this is part of a bigger effort to use native HTML components on all platforms (see google summer of code proposed projects pages, i think it's one of the proposed projects)
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

Auria wrote:My understanding is that wxWebKit is a native HTML mac component. However, i believe this is part of a bigger effort to use native HTML components on all platforms (see google summer of code proposed projects pages, i think it's one of the proposed projects)
Hrm. I had the understanding that it was in a cross-platform state already. I had heard something about it using the safari back end or something along those lines, and was going to be much smaller than wxMozilla already is.

I also had a peek at the engine that Mozilla uses, and I haven't yet figured out how exactly I could get it to work with wxWidgets, but I am still looking into it. I need a cross-platform browser component. wxHTMLWindow works great for some of my tasks, but not all of them.

Thanks,
JS
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

JSThePatriot wrote:
Auria wrote:My understanding is that wxWebKit is a native HTML mac component. However, i believe this is part of a bigger effort to use native HTML components on all platforms (see google summer of code proposed projects pages, i think it's one of the proposed projects)
Hrm. I had the understanding that it was in a cross-platform state already. I had heard something about it using the safari back end or something along those lines, and was going to be much smaller than wxMozilla already is.

I also had a peek at the engine that Mozilla uses, and I haven't yet figured out how exactly I could get it to work with wxWidgets, but I am still looking into it. I need a cross-platform browser component. wxHTMLWindow works great for some of my tasks, but not all of them.

Thanks,
JS
Well Safari is based on Konqueror AFAIk, so if they used that it indeed would be cross-platform. But WebKit is the name of a mac HTML framework - perhaps it's a just a naming coincidence
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

Auria wrote:Well Safari is based on Konqueror AFAIk, so if they used that it indeed would be cross-platform. But WebKit is the name of a mac HTML framework - perhaps it's a just a naming coincidence
Hrm. Well I guess I will have to dig into it. As much as I would love to start my own wxContribution, I don't think I am ready for it yet.

I will post when I figure out something more on it. I have tried searching all over google, and all the wx websites. I guess what's left is just asking in the dev's list.

JS
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Answer is there:
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/archive/wx-dev/msg46519.html
it's Mac-specific
how to implement it so that it works well with wxHTML2?
just like wxMozilla and wxActiveX
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

Auria wrote:Answer is there:
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/archive/wx-dev/msg46519.html
it's Mac-specific
how to implement it so that it works well with wxHTML2?
just like wxMozilla and wxActiveX
Dang it! =/

I guess I am going to look into something else soon. :-(

JS
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

First off, let me point out that the post you revived was posted back in April of 2004, plenty has changed since then. Second, nothing in that post says anything about it being Mac-only, it only refers to the fact that wxWebKit at least works on Carbon at the time that was posted.

Also, wxWebKit is built on top of the official open-source browser engine that goes by the name of WebKit. This is in fact the same engine that Safari on Mac uses, along with a good 50-100 other applications on Mac OS X, however, it is not limited to running only on Mac OS X. There is a Gdk port of WebKit that uses GTK+. There has also been some amount of work with using WebKit on Windows.
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

tierra wrote:First off, let me point out that the post you revived was posted back in April of 2004, plenty has changed since then. Second, nothing in that post says anything about it being Mac-only, it only refers to the fact that wxWebKit at least works on Carbon at the time that was posted.

Also, wxWebKit is built on top of the official open-source browser engine that goes by the name of WebKit. This is in fact the same engine that Safari on Mac uses, along with a good 50-100 other applications on Mac OS X, however, it is not limited to running only on Mac OS X. There is a Gdk port of WebKit that uses GTK+. There has also been some amount of work with using WebKit on Windows.
That is refreshing to hear. I tried searching the dev list, but I apparently couldn't search well. I noticed the date, but couldn't find much since then.

JS
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

tierra wrote:First off, let me point out that the post you revived was posted back in April of 2004, plenty has changed since then. Second, nothing in that post says anything about it being Mac-only, it only refers to the fact that wxWebKit at least works on Carbon at the time that was posted.

Ok thnaks for the info :) sometimes it's hard to follow for us non-mailing-list folks ;)
Lloyd
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Lloyd »

I never got wxMozlla to compile, since their release was nearly 2 years ago (and they were still using 2.4.2). I'm not sure if anyone here for that matter got wxMozilla to work, since after compiling my program crashed on startup. This may very well be caused by me using Unicode in wxWidgets, but I don't really know, lol.
I have installed Fedora core 5 with mozilla development packages. It is installed with wxGtk 2.6.3. (It is also a unicode build) I could compile wxMozilla on that and the demo applications starts. But the functions in that library does not seems to work for me (just to load a stored HTML and Image files from disk)

So I thought of going to embed mozilla myself. But I am unsuccessful. Firefox 1.5 source compiles on my EL4. But it seems that the exEmbed sample in the mozilla is meant for wxMsw 2.4. I am not able to compile it on my EL4.

If anybody have embedded mozilla on their wxGtlk 2.6.3, and able to load file from disk, please help me...
I have heard tale of a wxWebKit in the dev's list. Might want to check and see if you can find anything about that there. It is my understand that is to replace the wxMozilla, and other browser classes to date. If you successfully find that, and get it working please post, and give some links or something as I will need a similar functionality in the future.
I checked webkit's site... But it does not says whether it will work on Linux.. (It mainly describes about Mac) But it also adds that it is an open source project and it is built with Gtk library. And also says that it is not a browser but somethign like a framework to build browsers.

Still I could not choose a path to follow :(

Thanks and Regards,
Lloyd