Four-split window Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Inestical
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Four-split window

Post by Inestical »

Hello,

I would like to achieve 'perfect' 4-split window, do I have to use three wxSplitterWindow's and update one when second is updated?

I'm asking; is there any 'easier' way to achieve this?

edit:
I've looked up some information (with no success) and it seems there isn't any other choice.. I haven't tried this yet, since I'm working on some other stuff.

Or is there?

Thanks in advance
Randomness to the end 0.o
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Well, for splitting windows, you could go down the path using splitters, which would most likely be your best way of doing it. Or you could use panels and sizers (like I did in a program of mine).

Again, the splitter window would probably be the easiest, but if you are interested in using panels (so that your user cannot resize the splitter, etc.), check out my forum post.

FlyingIsFun1217
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Four-split window

Post by Auria »

Inestical wrote:Hello,

I would like to achieve 'perfect' 4-split window, do I have to use three wxSplitterWindow's and update one when second is updated?

I'm asking; is there any 'easier' way to achieve this?

edit:
I've looked up some information (with no success) and it seems there isn't any other choice.. I haven't tried this yet, since I'm working on some other stuff.

Or is there?

Thanks in advance
if it'S going to be resizable by user, splitters are probably your best bet
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Four-split window

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Auria wrote:if it'S going to be resizable by user, splitters are probably your best bet
No doubt. They will be the absolute EASIEST thing to use.

If you intended that you didn't want them resized (I assumed when you said 'perfect 4-split window'), then splitters might not be the easiest thing to work with, as there is no (known to me) way to stop resizing of a splitter. :(

Hope you understand a little better now. :)

FlyingIsFun1217
tan
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by tan »

Hi,
what about wxAUI?
Compiler: MSVC++ 7.1
wxWidgets: 2.8.10
Inestical
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Inestical »

So, to put it short:

No, there is no easier method (such as wx4SplitterWindow) and you might like to consider sizers and wxAUI (advanced user interface).

I'll get on this as I get other stuff before this. Just curious. Anyways, I think I'll check out wxSizerPane and wxAUI as I get to set up edit windows.

Arigat
Randomness to the end 0.o
Infinity_77
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Infinity_77 »

So, to put it short:

No, there is no easier method (such as wx4SplitterWindow) and you might like to consider sizers and wxAUI (advanced user interface).

I'll get on this as I get other stuff before this. Just curious. Anyways, I think I'll check out wxSizerPane and wxAUI as I get to set up edit windows
There is an implementation of a 4-way splitter window I made. Obviously, it's for wxPython, but I believe you could easily translate it to wxWidgets:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/eng/f ... aysplitter

wxPython rules :-D

Andrea.
"Imagination Is The Only Weapon In The War Against Reality."

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/