Harmless Warnings? Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Kip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Harmless Warnings?

Post by Kip »

So whenever I try to build my project, it compiles successfully, but I always get warnings issued that appear unrelated to my code, but within the wxWidgets headers themselves.

I am using wxWidgets 2.8.0 under Ubuntu Linux with gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070106 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-21ubuntu7).

I know they are probably harmless, but I would like to get rid of them if possible.

Code: Select all

kip@kip-laptop:~/Projects/Slither/trunk$ make
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./src   -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -O2  -MT SlitherApp.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/SlitherApp.Tpo" -c -o SlitherApp.o `test -f 'src/SlitherApp.cpp' || echo './'`src/SlitherApp.cpp; \
        then mv -f ".deps/SlitherApp.Tpo" ".deps/SlitherApp.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/SlitherApp.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/hashmap.h: In member function ‘wxLongToLongHashMap_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxLongToLongHashMap_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const long int&) const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/hashmap.h:714: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/clntdata.h: In member function ‘wxShadowObjectMethods_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxShadowObjectMethods_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const wxString&) const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/clntdata.h:20: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/clntdata.h: In member function ‘wxShadowObjectFields_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxShadowObjectFields_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const wxString&) const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/clntdata.h:25: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gdicmn.h: In member function ‘wxStringToColourHashMap_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxStringToColourHashMap_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const wxString&) const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gdicmn.h:540: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/image.h: In member function ‘wxImageHistogramBase_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxImageHistogramBase_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const long unsigned int&) const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/image.h:136: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

Kip
manianis
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by manianis »

-Wall : means display all warnings try removing it and recompile your code.
Kip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kip »

While we predicted that would solve the problem, sometimes the warnings are useful for user code, like mine where I neglect to give attention to something in need.

I would very much like to fix the headers, if that is where the problem is, so I resume using -Wall.

Any other suggestions?

--
Kip
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

On mac GCC, you can use -Wmost instead of -Wall - it will display warnings but discard those that just seem to be uselessly nitpicking

however i don't know if this option is part of GCC or just in apple's version
Kip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kip »

Sadly it doesn't work under Linux.

Kip
killerbot
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by killerbot »

a lot of warnings have been fixed in wx287, however the type-punned one is still there, any time frame when this will be fixed, it really polutes a build log.
Hitnrun
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Hitnrun »

Add

-fno-strict-aliasing

to your gcc compile flags.
hou
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

how did you fix it?

Post by hou »

I didn't find the gcc compiler flag "wmost "in "Setting->compiler and debug->compiler flags", how do you fix the ugly warning? Thanks.
My brother is going to go to university.
killerbot
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: how did you fix it?

Post by killerbot »

hou wrote:I didn't find the gcc compiler flag "wmost "in "Setting->compiler and debug->compiler flags", how do you fix the ugly warning? Thanks.
I guess you are talking about Code::Blocks; you can add extra gcc settings that are not in the list of compiler flags in the other options tab
hou
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

thank you for your answer.

Post by hou »

Can you tell me why it happen and what's the warning's meaning?
My brother is going to go to university.