wxCocoa

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
brookescomputingsociety
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxCocoa

Post by brookescomputingsociety »

Hello wxWidgets Development Community,

My name is Daniel Lewis, I am the founder and current president of Brookes Computing Society (a society of students and staff at Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK).

We (Brookes CompSoc) have been asked by a local company to help bring wxCocoa up to speed with the rest of wxWidgets. Over the next couple of months we are going to be working on wxCocoa to make it more stable and feature-full.

Are there any pointers that anybody could give us?

Thank you.

Daniel
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Welcome to the wxForum.

Getting wxCocoa up to date sounds like a good idea. But I have to admit that the forum might not be the best place to discuss it, as I think that most people here use wxMSW and wxGTK. You may also find people use wxPython.

I'd suggest to join the mailing list. Some wxWidgets developers visit here, but most can be found on the wx-dev list. I'm pretty sure that they'll help you and might already have tips on where to start and what's missing.

Anyway, feel free to discuss things here, too, as it might be of interest for others as well. It's a shame that the community has become separated. Many that post on the lists are not active in this forum and vice versa. We do have some plans for the future that might change this a bit. Maybe 2007 sees us team up al together again :)
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Alan-Shouls
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Alan-Shouls »

Hi,

My understanding is that the current plan is to take the wxMac (which is carbon) and port that to cocoa (lifting things from wxCocoa), rather than working on the wxCocoa branch. The reason for this is that the wxMac build is far more advanced than the wxCocoa build. i.e. it is quite possible to build shipping apps on wxMac at the moment.

Steffan Csomor - probably the best thing for you to do is to e-mail him directly. You can reach him at

csomor at advancedconcepts.ch (Steffan is a really nice chap)

Best regards

Alan Shouls
Alan-Shouls
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Alan-Shouls »

Sorry - bit of a copy/paste problem making. I meant to say that the programming lead for wxMac is Steffan Csomor - probably the best thing for you to do is to e-mail him directly. You can reach him at

csomor at advancedconcepts.ch (Steffan is a really nice chap)

I would also be very interested in talking to you myself. You can reach me at:

alan at softpress.com

Best regards

Alan Shouls
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Alan-Shouls wrote: My understanding is that the current plan is to take the wxMac (which is carbon) and port that to cocoa (lifting things from wxCocoa)
Hmm AFAIK you can't port Carbon code to Cocoa without doing nearly a full rewrite, since they're very different - not even in the same programming language

Or maybe you meant use the same wxWidgets base code as an infrastructure to begin with?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Hi there,

As far as I know Stefan is planning on sticking with Carbon, albiet as up-to-date and as easy to maintain as possible. What I think Stefan wants is more interop and some of the newer in Cocoa somehow, but that is definately in the future I think.

Anyway, if you really are planning on working on wxCocoa, the maintainer's name was David Elliot - you could try to dig his email out of the archives or see if he answers on wxdev, but i havnt heard from him in about a year. Outside of David, I did some "major" (relative) contributions to it, so I might be of some use - if you want me to give you a general overview of the internals I can; beyond that however my knowledge is limited.

However, you still may want to consider working Stefan on wxMac - hes still actively working on it and as I mentioned is planning on some cocoa interop-style stuff.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
brookescomputingsociety
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by brookescomputingsociety »

Hello,

We have now been in touch with Stefan and with David Elliot, Stefan was really interested in what we are going to be doing.

The fact is that local companies have said they want wxWidgets totally done for Cocoa, and so we will be doing so. So even though the wxMac version is still going to include Cocoa libs it will still include Carbon libs for a while... and a Cocoa version is required from our clients.

Its a good exercise for us students to do too, especially as some have never even touched a Mac. Luckily I have been using them since I was a boy, so I can lead them in that respect. I have been setting our group tasks for a while now, to get them used to several areas: wxWidgets, Objective-C, Cocoa and the Mac OS X development Environment.

Ryan: We may be in touch with you at some point if we get stuck in some way.

Daniel
* Head of Development, wxCocoa@Brookes
* Founder & Current President of Brookes Computing Society
matkaos
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by matkaos »

I'm really interested in this development and may collaborate in the future. Actually we are using wxMac on Mac, but as Carbon will not be ported to 64 bits we will need, as many developers, to go for Cocoa in the future. Apple told Carbon would be ported to 64 bits in the past and announced this year that it would not...
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

Folks scared about the not 64-bitness of Carbon should read

http://www.carbondev.com/site/?page=64-bit+Carbon: a good collection of information on the discussion.
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Ryan Wilcox wrote:Folks scared about the not 64-bitness of Carbon should read

http://www.carbondev.com/site/?page=64-bit+Carbon: a good collection of information on the discussion.
good info, but doesn't it confirm UI parts of Carbon are being removed? I would have believed wxWidgets used these UI bits (but that's only a guess)
Cees
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxCocoa status and availability?

Post by Cees »

I am interested in the wxCocoa project and saw this web page: http://vanirsystems.com/danielsblog/?p=125 - - - basically saying something should become available summer '07.

Could anyone give a status update?

I tried a SVN widgets version a few weeks ago, but it appeared that the cocoa build missed a significant number of controls. Is there perhaps another source of wxCocoa?

We would like to use it for one of our projects and would have the possibility to contribute to the wxCocoa project if there is a solid basis to start from.

Thanks,
Cees.
Alan-Shouls
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Alan-Shouls »

Hi,

The wxCocoa project has been resumed and there has been a fair amount of activity on it recently, David Elliot has submitted a fair number of changes to the project.

If you want to enquire about the status and the roadmap of the wxCocoa project you are probably best subscribing to the wx development e-mail list and asking there. Also, as a rule, all changes are discussed and agreed on this list before they are undertaken.

Best regards

Alan Shouls