Best GUI for developing under Linux Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Best GUI for developing under Linux

Post by acsMike »

Hi everybody,
I am considering porting a few apps from Windows & Mac to Linux. Which would the best graphical development environment be to hook up GCC to? Emacs?How do people actually develop under Linux?

I am used with XCode and Visual C++... Is there something as "visual" under Linux?

Thanks for reading this stupid question ;-)
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Well this is not quite related to wxWidgets :wink:

Well XCode and Visual C++ are IDEs... so you need to look for an IDE - there are many to choose from. Code::Blocks, Anjuta, KDevelop, many others

You can also just use a plain text editor + build system (makefile, scons, etc.)

Depending on your needs ;)
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Auria wrote:Well this is not quite related to wxWidgets :wink:

Well XCode and Visual C++ are IDEs... so you need to look for an IDE - there are many to choose from. Code::Blocks, Anjuta, KDevelop, many others

You can also just use a plain text editor + build system (makefile, scons, etc.)

Depending on your needs ;)
Thanks Auria. I'll have a look at those. They all look very good.
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

My all time favorite is using CMake for generating the project files. With the improved FindWxWidgets script they are using in Cmake 2.4+ this has become a breeze. With Cmake you can generate project files for:

- Makefile
- KDevelop3
- XCode (I believe)

And on windows a whole lot more.

So when I generate my Kdevelop3 workspace, I use that IDE to develop in wxWidgets under linux

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Jorg wrote:So when I generate my Kdevelop3 workspace, I use that IDE to develop in wxWidgets under linux
Aha, thanks for that Jorg.
Peavey Electronics