monolithic build Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
abirbasak
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

monolithic build

Post by abirbasak »

Hi,
Is it possible to have a monolithic static build of wxWidgets WITHOUT command prompt, i.e using the dsp workspace. I have VS2003 version. It converts the dsp to sln and compiles for Unicode Debug , Unicode Debug, Universal Unicode Debug & Universal Unicode Release (and several other versions which I do not use). All of them builds a number of library based on the projects on the sln. What I want is a single static lib (for quick compiling, and migration from one version to another version purpose, otherwise I use multilib static). Is the config.vc file works when compiling from within VC, or works only with makefile at command prompt.

Thanks.
Abir Basak, Member IEEE
Software Engineer
B. Tech IIT Kharagpur
emarti
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by emarti »

it is easy that build wxwidgets with command prompt using nmake & edit config.vc (monolithic=1).
- T U R K E Y ?
- I love this country!

WebSites:
http://mebt.sourceforge.net/
http://wxquran.sourceforge.net/
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

If I remember correctly, the *.dsp files under build\msw are for non-monolithic only.
For monolithic the solution is under src\wxWindows.dsp
abirbasak
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by abirbasak »

Thanks. src\wxWindows.dsp works. Though there is a change in directory, and lib file name! It looks the project file is little outdated. Also wxUniverse build is not there.
My request is to provide updated project file for all of the builds, and and samples for visual studio 7.1 & 8.0, as many of the VS 6.0 project files are not auto-upgradable to 7.1 version. (If someone need I can give them, However a better solution is auto-generate all kinds of project file for all supported platform from a single makefile! ). [/quote]
Abir Basak, Member IEEE
Software Engineer
B. Tech IIT Kharagpur
ABX
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by ABX »

abirbasak wrote:Thanks. src\wxWindows.dsp works.
src\wxWindows.dsp is dedicated to build libs in so called wx2.4 compatible way and that's why naming of the libs is different.

you can create project files for monolithic build by regenerating project files yourself.

1. install bakefile system from http://bakefile.sourceforge.net/
2. open file wxW/build/bakefiles/config.bkl for editing
3. find section which starts with <if cond="FORMAT_SUPPORTS_CONDITIONS=='0'"> and replace <set var="MONOLITHIC">0</set> with <set var="MONOLITHIC">1</set>
4. regenerate project files with
cd wxW/build/bakefiles
bakefile_gen -f msvc6prj

that's not explained in the docs most probably because multilib is prefered method

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2