Future of wxDev-c++?

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Future of wxDev-c++?

Post by Freddy »

Hey!
With Lazarus project ( http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/ ) and with Borland Turbo Delphi (free) ( http://www.turboexplorer.com ) I think the future of wxDev-C++ is OK. And it's now possible to use a modern Delphi compiler and also port wxDev-C++ to other platforms.

What do you think?
Maybe more contributors will come?
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Future of wxDev-c++?

Post by gururamnath »

Freddy wrote:Hey!
And it's now possible to use a modern Delphi compiler and also port wxDev-C++ to other platforms.
wxDevC++ uses heck a lot of 3rd party components. Turbodelphi wouldnt allow us to install any 3rdparty components. Most of the components wont even compile properly with Lazarus.
Currently we use Delphi 6, We are planning to move to the Delphi 7 personal edition in the next release.
Freddy wrote: What do you think?
Maybe more contributors will come?
People who are using Delphi are not willing to work on a C++ IDE project. If you know someone who is interested in helping us, please let us know.

Thanks,
Guru
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Future of wxDev-c++?

Post by lowjoel »

gururamnath wrote:Currently we use Delphi 6, We are planning to move to the Delphi 7 personal edition in the next release.
I'm using Delphi 7 personal edition in the meantime, I've fixed quite a bit of bugs with the code with regards to Delphi 7 support, so it should now be compilable with Delphi 7.

Joel
sergio
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by sergio »

Hi, just a couple of questions:

1) why wxDev C++ is written in Delphi instead of wxWidgets? Is there a project for developing a IDE using wxWidgets?

2) why is wxDev C++ soooooo slow when compiling/linking? Any chances of improvements in the near future?

Thanks,

Sergio
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

1) why wxDev C++ is written in Delphi instead of wxWidgets? Is there a project for developing a IDE using wxWidgets?
The reason for this is historical. Dev-Cpp the IDE that wxDev-C++ is based on was written in Delphi. Gururamnath made use of components that were written in Delphi Pascal to create the form designer. There are other projects written using wxWidgets such as code::blocks that provide a form designer of sorts, although none IMHO as good as wxDev-C++.
2) why is wxDev C++ soooooo slow when compiling/linking? Any chances of improvements in the near future?
At present wxDev-C++ uses Mingw as the compiler, linker, etc and just provides an IDE which sits on top of it. So it is Mingw which is responsible for the speed. The next version adds multi compiler support, including support for the speed Digital Mars compiler, so things should improve that way. Or you can use the suggestion to compile wxWidgets as a DLL which should speed up compiling.

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Sof_T wrote:
The next version adds multi compiler support, including support for the speed Digital Mars compiler, so things should improve that way. Or you can use the suggestion to compile wxWidgets as a DLL which should speed up compiling.

Sof.T
Actually, we have the hooks in for Digital Mars, but it's not yet officially supported. The VC compiler is the only stuff we've really worked on for 6.10. We really haven't taken the time to thoroughly play with DMars to make it as easy to use as the rest of the IDE. It will make it into 6.11. (And my initial tests show it to be REALLY fast. I'd prefer it to Mingw and probably even to VC.)

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

tbreina wrote: Actually, we have the hooks in for Digital Mars, but it's not yet officially supported. ... We really haven't taken the time to thoroughly play with DMars to make it as easy to use as the rest of the IDE. It will make it into 6.11. (And my initial tests show it to be REALLY fast. I'd prefer it to Mingw and probably even to VC.)...
shure DM IS REALLY FAST !

we have DM support in Code::Blocks (CB) since two years
and i've done a lot with it and enjoyed the speed too as you said ...

BUT

if you really want to work on huge project's with a free/opensource compiler, there is no way far from MinGW gcc and gdb

debugging and IDE-integrated debugging is not easily possible with DM but it's a show-stopper if it doesn't work reliable.

CB & MinGW gcc and gdb 6.3-2 are the tools with which you can do almost all what you can imagine, setting breakpoints in source of dll's which are loaded in any way (delayed , ... ), breakpoint counter, smart breakpoints, debug tooltips , ... , ...
-tiwag
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

Just for the fun of things I plan to make debugger support extensible too, so not only will we have multiple compilers, we'll have multiple debuggers... and thus even the devpak system is due for an overhaul too... but we'll get at that once we get code completion working (true LL(K) parser anyone? Or does anyone have the Red Dragon Book?)... as well as using Scintilla instead of synedit.... we have a long todo list and not enough time. Thank goodness this is open source...

Just so you all know we're still busy :)
LosHuliganos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

delphi...

Post by LosHuliganos »

What the reason to use Delphi? You can start using Builder. It reates hider files for pas files. Also you can step by step convert pascal code to C++. Once long long time ago I did that.... when I was PhD student. I converted huge scientific project with tons of dialogs and openGL to Builder C++ in 2 weeks (100,000 strings of code). It became twice faster!!!.
NinjaNL

Re: delphi...

Post by NinjaNL »

LosHuliganos wrote:What the reason to use Delphi? You can start using Builder.
wxDevC++ is built on top of Bloodshed's DevC++. This program was written using Delphi 6 Personal Edition, a free and freely available IDE for Delphi development.

Is there such a version of Builder? I have an official Builder 5 (somewhere) but I don't remember a free version.

LosHuliganos wrote:It reates hider files for pas files. Also you can step by step convert pascal code to C++. Once long long time ago I did that.... when I was PhD student. I converted huge scientific project with tons of dialogs and openGL to Builder C++ in 2 weeks (100,000 strings of code). It became twice faster!!!.
I wouldn't mind a tutorial as to how you accomplished this. Was the code pure Delphi, did you use others components (we use some JEDI stuff as well as MadExcept and others) How easy was the transformation from Delphi to Builder, which version of Builder did you use? Which version of Delphi? Were the versions used a factor in converting (was it easier because you had for example Builder 5 and Delphi 3).

I don't think there would be too much discussion between the developers if we could move the development from Delphi to C++, but the tools used must be free (developers shouldn't be expected to give out money to develop something that won't have any monetary result).

The new TurboC++ doesn't cut it because you can't install any new components (you can use them at runtime, but not at design time) and bearing in mind the ammount of changes that wxDevC++ is going through at the moment, using 3rd party components at design time is a prerequisite to development. There is of course the free version of Microsofts VC++, but that would mean a total rewrite of the code since I don't believe that VC reads Delphi files.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
eranif

Post by eranif »

lowjoel wrote:but we'll get at that once we get code completion working (true LL(K) parser anyone? Or does anyone have the Red Dragon Book?)...
Try CodeLite (in my signature below), it uses SQLite + ctags + handcrafted small parser for various tasks (flex).

Eran
IDE: CodeLite + wxCrafter
https://wxcrafter.codelite.org
https://codelite.org
LosHuliganos
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Conversation form Delphi to Builder

Post by LosHuliganos »

I used in those times Delphi 6 and Builder with same version of components. I forgot the namber of builder.
Buider is creating h files on top of pas files. Also I found in Internet utility to convert object pascal to C++ (right now utility should be better). To do it I renamed class to object. Applied utility, replaces h files, created by utility with h filses from builder. Finally, I made C++ code more accurate. 2 weeks to do that...
Now I am using only wxWidgets based GUI+gcc in wxDevCpp+Code::Blocks and have no hand on pulse of Borland :roll:.