Mac OSX - what is your minimum requirement?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Mac OSX - what is your minimum requirement?

Post by acsMike »

Hi,
I am currently compiling my apps for 10.3.9 as a minimum requirement for Mac OSX, PPC. To do this, I need to use gcc 3.3, and not 4.0 which is my secret desire.

Question is... How meaningful is it to assume that people are still using 10.3.9? I am sure a LOT still do... but HOW many? Anyone have any view on this? It got to be like 10-15 years 10.4.0 came out, so I suppose quite a few have upgraded. No?
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

A lot of apps require 10.4 these days, and with 10.5 coming out in Q1, my opinion is that the "support the previous and the current version of OS X" philosophy can be bent a little (especially if you need OS X 10.4 only technologies)
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Ryan Wilcox wrote:A lot of apps require 10.4 these days, and with 10.5 coming out in Q1, my opinion is that the "support the previous and the current version of OS X" philosophy can be bent a little (especially if you need OS X 10.4 only technologies)
Hmm, I am planning to release in Q1 anyway. I am leaning towards dropping 10.3.9 support.
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
cd_hodges
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by cd_hodges »

I would keep support for 10.3.9 for now if I were you. I know quite a number of people who haven't upgraded yet. And the outlay to move to an Intel box is quite high for some people.

Just my two cents.

Chris
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

And the outlay to move to an Intel box is quite high for some people.
Has nothing to do with what version of the OS you're running.

"I don't like these new 65 mile an hour highways, I can't afford a new car"
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Ryan Wilcox wrote:
And the outlay to move to an Intel box is quite high for some people.
Has nothing to do with what version of the OS you're running.

"I don't like these new 65 mile an hour highways, I can't afford a new car"
Well, perhaps the poster means that all intels come with at least 10.4 (IIRC).

Back to the OP, one way to look at it like this: How much is your app going to cost? If it is close to the cost of the OS on Mac the users will likely have gotten 10.4 first instead of your app - so in that case you might target 10.4+. If it is not that price though, maybe consider broadening your market if you are willing to test "older" machines.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Ryan Norton wrote:Back to the OP, one way to look at it like this: How much is your app going to cost? If it is close to the cost of the OS on Mac the users will likely have gotten 10.4 first instead of your app - so in that case you might target 10.4+. If it is not that price though, maybe consider broadening your market if you are willing to test "older" machines.
It's gonna cost quite a lot. Minimum $150. I also think the potential buyers have alot of other expensive software and hardware. (This is a musical tool, a guitar amp simulator.). I also think it lies in the these users interest to have an up-to-date system.
Peavey Electronics