Links > Demos at wxMS_developers

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Links > Demos at wxMS_developers

Post by dsilvia »

There's a new folder to the Links area, Demos. They differ from tutorials in that there is no step by step instruction included. These are more like developer tools for scoping out a particular feature. Right now the only demo is one called XML Doc which demonstrates coding of wxXmlNode and wxXmlDocument, with some ancillary classes of note: wxListCtrl and wxChoice.

wxMS_developers
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wxMS_developers/

fyi,
Dave S.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

As much as I appreciate more efforts in providing communities, why are you setting up another members only section in Yahoo groups? What is wrong with the Linking / IDE related section here, and wxDev-Cpp? As far as I read it, it is about IDE's on MS Windows related to wxWidgets .. It is kind of weird that all this information provided can only be viewed by members.

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia »

Jorg wrote:As much as I appreciate more efforts in providing communities, why are you setting up another members only section in Yahoo groups? What is wrong with the Linking / IDE related section here, and wxDev-Cpp? As far as I read it, it is about IDE's on MS Windows related to wxWidgets .. It is kind of weird that all this information provided can only be viewed by members.

- Jorgen
Well, here's the basic scoop.

1) Unless I'm mistaken, you have no storage facility or download service here. Cut'n'paste is okay for snippets, but for tutorials and demos, it's a pain.

2) There's nothing wrong with the various fora here, I come here often.

3) The information is only viewed by members to keep traffic down. I'm a private individual (retired and living on a fixed, limited disability income) and cannot afford a lot of traffic with the download server I've provided for folks. So, it's really not weird, just practical. Besides, what's the beef? Membership only costs 30-60 seconds time (just like here), there's no fee or restriction. Information on messages, however, is free as an RSS service, no membership required.

4) As stated at the group, the primary focus is DialogBlocks, MinGW, and VS2005, although others are quite welcome. This focus is because that's what I write and that's what my tutorials are basically about. I write them because I wish someone already had, but they hadn't, so I did.

I'm just trying to offer a service I don't really see elsewhere. I've no affiliations to honor, no axes to grind. I'm just a hobbyist developer (retired from software engineering in telecom) filling in my time.

Did you actually take the time to look at the group and the contents? Or were you just instantly offended?

If you'd like, I'll stop posting here. Just let me know. I'm really quite easy to get along with!;)

thx,
Dave S.