obtaining MAC address? Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
jdbrown
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

obtaining MAC address?

Post by jdbrown »

Hello all,
I'm new to the wxWidgets scene and have a couple projects I'm starting to work on that I'm attempting to develop for at least linux and windows. One thing I'd like to be able to do is obtain the MAC address inside the program. Is there a straightforward way to go about this? My google searches have primarily turned up platform-dependent solutions such as the windows method "GetAdaptersInfo." I've gone through the documentation a bit, though my experience with wxWidgets is essentially nill so far. Can anyone tell me if the socket library provides this functionality, or if there is another way to go about obtaining the information I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Jeremy Brown
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

AFAIK there is no "wxWidgets" way to do that. You will need platform specific code for that.
Use the source, Luke!
upCASE

Re: obtaining MAC address?

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
jdbrown wrote:Can anyone tell me if the socket library provides this functionality, or if there is another way to go about obtaining the information I'm looking for?
I'm afraid doublemax is right. The MAC address is not related to sockets, but to the specific adapters installed in your system. wxWidgets offer no way to obtain these.

I'd suggest that you write a simple function prototype for all platforms, so that you can use it anywhere and implement the platform dependent stuff by using ifdefs for the specific platform.
See here for the "windows"-ways of doing this ( GetAdapteraInfo would be the best IMHO ): http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/I-N/network ... .php/c5451
Here's a hint how to do it using Linux: http://cplus.kompf.de/artikel/macaddr.html
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
jdbrown
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by jdbrown »

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help though!

JB
aaaaaaaaatchoum!
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by aaaaaaaaatchoum! »

On windows with wxWidgets 2.8.8 i tried the example on the link above, with no success. The keywords are not recognized "IP_ADAPTER_INFO", "AdapterInfo", "GetAdaptersInfo" and so on, even if i include <windows.h>.

Any ideas?
Grrr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Grrr »

They are in iphlpapi.h. A quick search through the standard include files usually does the trick ;).
aaaaaaaaatchoum!
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by aaaaaaaaatchoum! »

Thanks, i searched before posting, but with no success.
vsp
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by vsp »

Its working fine for me

I have used the code project code directly in windows.

Code: Select all

int main(int argc, char **argv){

wxApp::CheckBuildOptions(WX_BUILD_OPTIONS_SIGNATURE, "program");

wxInitializer initializer;
    if ( !initializer )
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "Failed to initialize the wxWidgets library, aborting.");

return -1;
    }

GetMACaddress();
	GetMACNetBiosAddress();
	GetMACAdapterAddress();

return 0;
}
[/code]