Crash problems

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Crash problems

Post by Freddy »

Why wxDev-cpp 6.9 is crashing so often?
I can't work more than 5 minutes and the IDE gives me some kind of bug report window.
Please check this error. I can send more info if needed.

Thanks!
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

You'll need to send the bug report. Our mind-reading skills have deteriorated greatly over the years.

Please also explain what you were doing before the crash and the steps to re-create it (if you know).

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

You disappoint me Tony
Our mind-reading skills have deteriorated greatly over the years.
I think I'll add a section to my book "How to report bugs in the IDE". Care to give me a definative procedure?

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

You disappoint me Tony
Our mind-reading skills have deteriorated greatly over the years.
I think I'll add a section to my book "How to report bugs in the IDE". Care to give me a definative procedure?
Well we need more information than just "it crashes every 5 minutes". That's not a lot of information to start from.

I'd like to at least see the bug report that the crash generated (there should be a window that pops up when it crashes and allows you to save the report). The stack trace helps us narrow down where the code was when the crash occurred (which will hopefully show us the offending code).

It would also be very helpful if the user could let us know what he was doing when the crash occurred (e.g. opening a file, adding a component to the window, compiling the program, etc.). The more detailed the better. If we can repeat the crash on our end, it makes it far easier to debug.

It's rather like taking your car to a mechanic. The more info the better (and faster) we can hone in on the cause.

-Tony
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy »

The crash happens in very strange way.
I don't know what action caused it.
I'll try to do lots of things now (like typing, saving, compiling,...) to see what time it crashes.
Soon, I'll post more information...
Peterj
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peterj »

Freddy,

Are you talking about an Exception Class "ERange Error", Exception message "Range Check Error"?

These can be forced by typing either a space-colon ' :' or space-right arrow ' >' sequence after a variable name. Pressing the <Esc> key will get rid of the error message screen with no problems. Worst case, (other than being annoying) it just means that you have to enter "a > b" as "a>b" and put any spaces in afterwards.

This still seems to be in wxDev-C++ 6.10, although if it is a problem from Dev-C++ then it is understandable that it hasn't been fixed.

BTW the code folding looks great and will be a good step forward.

Regards,
Peter
Using Win XP, Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 wx-beta 6.9
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Are you talking about an Exception Class "ERange Error", Exception message "Range Check Error"?

These can be forced by typing either a space-colon ' :' or space-right arrow ' >' sequence after a variable name. Pressing the <Esc> key will get rid of the error message screen with no problems. Worst case, (other than being annoying) it just means that you have to enter "a > b" as "a>b" and put any spaces in afterwards.
Ah, that sounds like a code completion error. We've fixed some bugs in code completion for 6.10, but there will probably continue to be some latent bugs with that part of the code. Hopefully with trial and error we'll flush out all of them.

Code folding won't make it into 6.10 because there are still some problems with it. It's planned to be fully implemented in 6.11.

The current CVS (as of today) finally compiles again. I'm running into some weird problems with running some of the Msys commands (make.exe and rm.exe) on one of my newer machines. But otherwise it looks good to me so far. At least we're close to having a version of 6.10 ready for general testing.

-Tony
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy »

Yes! Thanks!
That's the error I've got!
Is it easy to solve?

Another question:
Is there a way to setup wxDev-c++ so it will make mingw compile faster?
Or at least is it possible to add some kind of "syntax checker" so I don't need to recompile and wait a minute or 2 just to see if there's something wrong with my code?

Thanks guys!

PS: When next version is coming?
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Freddy wrote:Yes! Thanks!
That's the error I've got!
Is it easy to solve?
Unfortunately, no. It was buggy code we inherited from dev-cpp. Joel and I have worked on a few corrections, but I can't claim that we've fixed it entirely.

I would suggest that when the bug report window pops up just clicking the ignore/continue button. Hopefully, 6.10 will work better for you in this regard.
Freddy wrote: Another question:
Is there a way to setup wxDev-c++ so it will make mingw compile faster?
Or at least is it possible to add some kind of "syntax checker" so I don't need to recompile and wait a minute or 2 just to see if there's something wrong with my code?

Thanks guys!

PS: When next version is coming?
Well, there's some past threads talking about using pre-compiled headers. That will definitely make things faster, but it's not trivial to setup. You can try searching the forum for "precompiled headers", but it might not be useful for you.

There is a Syntax Checker command in the same menu item as Compile+Run and Rebuild All. Just look down that list and you'll see it.

The next version is in CVS. We've been ironing out the obvious bugs over the last week or so. It will include support for MS VC++ compilers so it's taking a little longer to get a version that everyone is happy with.

-Tony
Freddy
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Freddy »

Thank you for your fast answers!

Will it be possible to use next versions of wxDev-c++ with Visual C++ 2005 Express?
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Freddy wrote:Thank you for your fast answers!

Will it be possible to use next versions of wxDev-c++ with Visual C++ 2005 Express?
Yes, it should. Joel has done a lot of work with making wx-devcpp compatible with the MS VC++ compilers. I should note that it will probably take a little effort to get the setup correct on your machine, but once you have all of the settings correct it should work fine.

That said, I expect a lot of "bug" reports on getting it to work properly. Everyone will have a slightly different setup so it's hard to make something that works for everyone right out of the box. Hopefully, with enough people testing we'll be able to get sufficient documentation and instructions to help. But people will need to be patient with the growth pains.

-Tony