ide recommendations?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
paulh
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

ide recommendations?

Post by paulh »

Hi

I have just finished a project using wxWidgets with VS7 that was built on msw only, so much nicer than mfc!

I am about to start a new project targeting osx and win32/64. I will mostly be coding on the PC but will have to do some coding/debugging on the mac too. I know v little about mac programming.

Any suggestions as to which combination of IDEs/compilers/debuggers work best across PC/mac? VS or DialogBlocks or Eclipse or...?

thanks

Paul
sethjackson
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: ide recommendations?

Post by sethjackson »

paulh wrote:Hi

I have just finished a project using wxWidgets with VS7 that was built on msw only, so much nicer than mfc!

I am about to start a new project targeting osx and win32/64. I will mostly be coding on the PC but will have to do some coding/debugging on the mac too. I know v little about mac programming.

Any suggestions as to which combination of IDEs/compilers/debuggers work best across PC/mac? VS or DialogBlocks or Eclipse or...?

thanks

Paul
Code::Blocks. :)

http://www.codeblocks.org/
paulh
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by paulh »

thanks seth. it looks just the job!
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia »

Well, I've used about every IDE that even remotely addresses wxWidgets and PC's. Yes, Code::Blocks is an interesting concept, but not very mature and a little too ambitious for such a new project. Same goes for the wxWidgets version of Dev-C++.

The best and most robust platform I've found with the best support and best response time to problems is DialogBlocks. It's added advantage is that it is from Julian Smart, wxWidgets founder/author. It has its own forum (anthemion-devtools) which is relatively small but well used and more than average helpful. Plus Julian keeps a daily (hourly?) eye on traffic there and jumps right in when/as needed.

It's free to use (with nags and moderate restrictions). But, the purchase price is so low it's more than worth it to buy.

It runs on all Windows, all major Linux (so probably almost any), FreeBSD, Solaris x86, and Mac OS X. It supports the following compilers: GCC (generic as well as MinGW and Cygwin specific), Visual C++ versions 6, 7, 7.1, and 8, Borland C++, Digital Mars C++, and Watcom C++. It generates makefiles for all, VC++, of course, are project files that are compatible with the version IDE. I switch back and forth routinely between DB and VS2005X with the same code, solution, and project files with no real hassle.

Finally, hating to sound capitalist, "You get what you pay for!". DB's cost is nominal, but it still provides an incentive to keep the customer satisfied!;)

Also, last I heard, the license is good for all platforms!;)

jmtcw,
Dave S.
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia »

BTW, DB monitors and handles wxWidgets builds for all compilers/platforms and prompts for you to build when the needed code is not there, then procedes to effect the build. A very nice, clean way to deal with building wxWidgets when you upgrade!;)

fyi,
Dave S.
paulh
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by paulh »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.

I am doing a few gentle tests to works out a xPlatform build procees that I am happy with before I dive into work proper. I will definitely try out DialogBlocks as well as CodeBlocks before I start. The last project I did was win32 only and I used a mixture of VC++ and DialogBlocks quite happily.

I have also found Julian Smart V helpful and responsive in the past which is, as you point, out a big plus for DialogBlocks. (should it not be called DialogueBlocks?)
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia »

paulh wrote:(should it not be called DialogueBlocks?)
Depends on what part of the English speaking world you're from, I guess! O:)

Seriously, though, I think it comes from the fact that in the GUI world, they're usually called "dialogs", e.g. wxDialog or Microsoft's CDialog classes.

Dropping silent endings is an Americanism, I guess tho'!;)

Please, don't mind my humor, it's late in my day here! :oops:

thx,
Dave S.