wxAUI integrated into wxWidgets CVS

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
bwilliams
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxAUI integrated into wxWidgets CVS

Post by bwilliams »

I'm happy to announce that wxAUI has recently been integrated into the wxWidgets CVS tree!

The wxAUI homepage will still be used as a central location for all things wxAUI, such as updating everyone on major feature and enhancements to the library. The wxAUI forum will also continue to be a great place for submitting questions, feedback, bugs or patches. Thanks to everyone for helping getting the library where it is today. We look forward to seeing wxAUI expand and grow even more in its new home!

We're very excited about this development, and believe that the wxAUI/wxWidgets integration will lead to more features, better support and stability.

Many thanks to all who helped made this happen.

All the best,
Ben
Last edited by bwilliams on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 »

Great, this will really push wxWidgets :)
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Great news! I can't wait to give it a try!

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
RealityMage
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by RealityMage »

Has wxIFM also been integrated into CVS? I believe not, and if not, why not?

It came out earlier, has a comparable number of features...
jb_coder
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jb_coder »

I don't believe that wxIFM was integrated into CVS. I can't remember why exactly, but I believe that wxAUI's API was more consistent with the rest of the wxWidget's API. There was a long discussion on the wx-user or wx-dev mailing lists a while back that might explain more.
Game_Ender
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Game_Ender »

wxAUI is lacking drag and drop tabs, what I think is a pretty crucial feature. I hope the inclusion into wxWidgets CVS will speed wxAUI on its roadmap, which does include tab support. I do use and like wxAUI so I am just looking foward to more progress. Congrats to the wxAUI team.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

wxIFM may have come about before wxAUI did, but wxAUI managed to put together a good, solid, simple API that has been tested thoroughly and works. wxIFM hasn't managed to reach that point even now with a full rewrite of the entire library not that long ago. wxAUI has proven it's worth with a few major wxWidgets applications picking up early adoption already while I can't claim to know any applications on the same scale that have adopted wxIFM.

The issue of D&D tabs is a separate issue altogether. Something like that could be done in a separate class completely that just handles reparenting in a group of some kind of linked wxRipTab control (like linked radio buttons), a modification of wxNotebook, or something similar. It would probably be better kept separate of any docking library because of issues that are probably going to come up with support on various platforms as well as allowing people to use rip-apart tabs without using a docking library (probably a rare case, but there's no point in not having the freedom to do so).
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

tierra wrote:The issue of D&D tabs is a separate issue altogether. Something like that could be done in a separate class completely that just handles reparenting in a group of some kind of linked wxRipTab control (like linked radio buttons), a modification of wxNotebook, or something similar. It would probably be better kept separate of any docking library because of issues that are probably going to come up with support on various platforms as well as allowing people to use rip-apart tabs without using a docking library (probably a rare case, but there's no point in not having the freedom to do so).
Drag and drop tabs are not a seperate issue. If you allow the functionality for dragging around tabs to be implemented seperately from that which is dragging around windows, then you have two completely different systems which can never hope to interact or function exactly alike, unless their code is a complete duplicate of one another, which is obviously silly. The only proper place for drag and drop tabs to be implemented in a comprehensive UI management solution is in the UI management solution itself. Mixing and matching what little native notebook tab tearing exists with a completely different looking and different functioning docking system will simply create an application which has an inconsistant feel to its UI.

The reason wxIFM is not in use is simple: I didn't implement interface saving and loading. I still maintain that drag and drop tabs along with my drag and drop system give wxIFM an edge up on the competition. ;)

I don't know what I will do with my OSS projects at this point. I have not the desire to spend countless hours on them, and a project like wxIFM2 is the kind of projet that requires detication to get anywhere with.

Speaking of wxIFM2, interface saving/loading is more or less in place, it can lay out components, and render them to look all nice and stuff. No dragging yet though. Whether I will ever finish it, well thats a story for another day.
Peer Sommerlund
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peer Sommerlund »

I don't know what I will do with my OSS projects at this point. I have not the desire to spend countless hours on them, and a project like wxIFM2 is the kind of projet that requires detication to get anywhere with.
One option is to place the codebase on sourceforge and invite more developers onboard. I for one, would like to support it - and I'm sure at least some of the other >500 users will as well. :wink:

See for example http://www.gamemosaic.com/wxifm/index.html
RealityMage
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by RealityMage »

Well, if dragging and dropping is implemented seperately, is it possible to drag a tab away and make it create a floating window?
Jamie
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Jamie »

SnakeChomp wrote:The reason wxIFM is not in use is simple: I didn't implement interface saving and loading. I still maintain that drag and drop tabs along with my drag and drop system give wxIFM an edge up on the competition. ;)
More likely it was the lack of toolbars. wxAUI was more of a replacement for wxFL. Personally I like wxIFM and then one day I noticed that wxAUI had been committed to CVS...
SnakeChomp wrote:I don't know what I will do with my OSS projects at this point. I have not the desire to spend countless hours on them, and a project like wxIFM2 is the kind of projet that requires detication to get anywhere with.
May I ask if this lack of desire also applies to omgui?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Jamie wrote:More likely it was the lack of toolbars.
Ugh, I get so frustrated every time I hear people mention dragable toolbars. Even if wxIFM did have them, being unable to save the changes you made to the layout would be more detrimental than not being able to move around your toolbars. Average users don't need to move around their toolbars and will more than likely become confused if they do manage to accidentally move their toolbar somewhere and dont know how to get it back to where it is supposed to be. Think of the poor moms who manage to make one of their MS word toolbars float but dont know how to put it back.
Jamie wrote:May I ask if this lack of desire also applies to omgui?
It does, although I could come up with more reasons than this as to why my work on it has trickled off. Namely the other two devs trickling off as well.
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Peer Sommerlund wrote:One option is to place the codebase on sourceforge and invite more developers onboard. I for one, would like to support it - and I'm sure at least some of the other >500 users will as well. :wink:

See for example http://www.gamemosaic.com/wxifm/index.html
Most projects that end up on SF simply rot. Although mine will be rotting as well, so there isn't much of a difference in that regard.

The website doesn't load by the way. Edit: Its probably because my DNS is broken, half of the internet doesn't load.
Peer Sommerlund
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peer Sommerlund »

Most projects that end up on SF simply rot. Although mine will be rotting as well, so there isn't much of a difference in that regard.
True, you need a critical mass to get your project rolling. But I believe that wxIFM can get that mass with just a small effort attracting new developers.

Using SF makes that effort a little smaller by providing much of the required infrastructure: distribution of releases, bug tracking, activity statistics, web pages, repository, etc.

But why not give it a try? If you state that you are willing to continue your work on wxIFM v1 and v2 on SF, but somebody else has to do the registration, setup, web-design, etc. I'm sure it will happen.

It is vital, however, to get your blessing, since the project will suffer from forking. I'm not talking about a full time involvement, but it is important to get you to draw the big lines for whatever lies ahead.
bwilliams
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxAUI Tabs - first phase

Post by bwilliams »

I don't know if this is pertinent to the discussion that sprang up on this thread, but maybe you'd be interested in checking out our first crack at tabs in wxAUI. It's not the full deal yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

Check out: http://www.kirix.com/community/forums// ... .php?t=169. There's code and a sample application there.

Best,
Ben