Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta4 released!

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
mandrav
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta4 released!

Post by mandrav »

Code::Blocks is an open-source cross-platform IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for C/C++ - currently ;)
It is built around a plugin framework that allows it to be extended through the use of external libraries (plugins).

Version 1.0-beta4 offers many improvements over previous versions and a more stable development environment.
The major new feature of this release is the support for more compilers. GNU GCC was already supported but MS Visual C++ Free Toolkit 2003 and Borland C++ Compiler 5.5 are now natively supported by Code::Blocks! By natively I mean compiler command-lines, compiler options, warnings/errors reporting, etc.
Improvements were also made to foreign project files importing. Better handling of Visual Studio 6 (.dsp) files and the new import capability for Visual Studio .NET project files (.vcproj).
Another major improvement is that now Code::Blocks compiles under Linux too (tested under Debian unstable and Gentoo - gtk2 needed).

Besides new features, thanks to many users' bug reports, quite some bugs have been pointed out and fixed.

For more information visit Code::Blocks HomePage.
Here is a direct download link for the win32 installer.

I hope you enjoy this release!

Yiannis :)
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Looks very interesting! I will give it a whirl when my laptop is back in order ..

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
vdell
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by vdell »

That indeed looks very interesting! I will give it a try as soon as I get home!
eros
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by eros »

Please keep up the good work.
brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw »

What about abandoned ? project Code Dragon (wxCode ?)
Some time ago I downloaded CVS sources but it was not usable.Anyway there was quite complete debugger for VC++ inside. Could You use this code ?
brandysboguslaw
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by brandysboguslaw »

Check wxIDE from CVS of abandoned (?) CodeDragon project (else named wxStudio)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxstudio

There is simple debugger for VC++ using dbghelp.dll : it can probably set breakpoint,view callstack,view variables .
I coud'nt try to compile wxIDE , but this debugger would be very interesting if CodeBlocks could change it into plugin which we could use with free VC++ command line.
mandrav
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by mandrav »

Thanks for the link. I 'll definitely check it out :)
Qwavel
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Qwavel »

Just installed Code::Blocks.
Very impressed.
Keep up the good work.
Qwavel
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Qwavel »

Two more comments.

- It is nice to be able to use one's IDE for editing text and rich text. The only requirement for that is that, when you open a text file, your IDE should open fairly quickly and it should have your 'text' configuration (eg. no displaying some of the IDE panes).

So, I would need to be able to configure the IDE for specific files types, including the ability to control which add-in's load (for loading speed).

- IDE's come and go. The main problem with them is that they are hard for other people to continue working on and to extend, so the next person starts their own IDE rather than continuing an existing one.

Code::Blocks appears to solve part of this problem by focussing on extensibility. Other things that might help are good documentation for the interfaces, and the use of libraries that others also use. So, I've noticed that people seem enthusiastic about wxIFM (I've never tried it myself), and I'm wondering if your IDE makes use of this framework.
mandrav
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by mandrav »

So, I've noticed that people seem enthusiastic about wxIFM (I've never tried it myself), and I'm wondering if your IDE makes use of this framework.
Short answer is no.
Initially, I used to use the wxFL library. But I was not satisfied with it. It had some problems with messages not going where they should be (Code::Blocks UI is provided by different DLLs, so that might be the source of the problem). The programming interface was a little cumbersome and lacked some essential features (like save/load layout). Finally, support was lacking. I didn't see any updates for it for a long while...

Now, I use only wxToolbar and wxPanels. I would like to use a docking library, but the aforementioned problems must not exist...

I haven't tried wxIFM myself yet, although I plan to do it. I just wish that it fits Code::Blocks' needs, which aren't much per-se but it's not the average app. But maybe I will have to discuss this with the wxIFM author...

Thanx for the comments,
Yiannis.