WindowsXP Themes, Visual Styles or Skins

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
teh_junkie
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

WindowsXP Themes, Visual Styles or Skins

Post by teh_junkie »

Hello friends.

I want to ask this simple question. Is it possible to apply winxp themes to a wxwidgets app without using wxuniversal (havent played with it, and not willing to, to be sincere)?

When I say Themes, Visual Styles or Skins (dont see the difference other than a Visual Style or theme also changes the icons and stuff, not only the "color" of the windows), I mean, like Delphi applications. You see, many of them have a menu item, or a dialog or something that lets you change the look and feel of the app (yes! thats the word, look and feel like in Java), which means window colors change (with the window's controls etc...)
I dont think icons and the like change, so I guess Im not after Winamp's skinning engine (where AFAIK all controls are user-drawn and the like), just the look and feel.
Here is an example screenie of a Delphi app, with different skins applied (or so they call it skins), to the File menu

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8962/themes8eq.png

Is this possible with Wxwidgets?
AFAIK, since wxwidgets is meant to support the native OS, then when the user changes the theme, for example using StyleXP, then the app will reflect that change, but I want to do it on an App-based approach, where the user changes the App's skin without affecting other windows. I think this is clear :lol:

Best wishes.
Vexator
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Vexator »

no, this is not possible, as wx, like you already noticed, tries to reflect the native look and feel of the os.

but you still can inherit from the widgets you'd like to style and override their paint events.
Windows 7 Pro
Visual Studio 2010
wxWidgets 2.9.3
kornerr
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by kornerr »

xp manifest file can make your app be rendered with 6th windows widgets version.
Open Source all the way, baby ;)
OpenGameStudio