Quick wxFSFile & GetModificationTime() Question Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Ksmith22
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Quick wxFSFile & GetModificationTime() Question

Post by Ksmith22 »

Before I mess around with this, I figured I would ask to save myself some trial-and-error. I am currently using wxFileSystem to get a file off a website. What I need to do is check when this file was last modified, and if it was changed, re-download it.

My question is, if I setup the wxFSFile once with the URL, does that just copy the contents of the file to the wxFSFile, or is it a pointer to that location? In other words, if I called GetModificationTime() several times and nothing else, would it always return the same time even if the file had been modified on the website? Here's some code to illustrate:

Code: Select all

wxString url = "http://www.somewebsite.com/somefile.txt";

wxFileSystem fileurl;
wxFSFile* fsfile = fileurl.OpenFile(url);

wxDateTime start_time = fsfile->GetModificationTime();

// wait some time.. file from URL has now changed

wxDateTime current_time = fsfile->GetModificationTime();
With that code, are start_time and current_time the same? Or do I need to re-call "fsfile = fileurl.OpenFile(url)" first?
micros
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by micros »

Looking at wxInternetFSHandler::OpenFile (src/common/fs_inet.cpp), I'd answer your question "Yes, the times are the same". The handler not only opens the remote file, it copies it to a temporary local file and returns a wxFSFile of the local one.
Ksmith22
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ksmith22 »

micros wrote:Looking at wxInternetFSHandler::OpenFile (src/common/fs_inet.cpp), I'd answer your question "Yes, the times are the same". The handler not only opens the remote file, it copies it to a temporary local file and returns a wxFSFile of the local one.
Gotcha. Thanks!