Can Properitary/Closed Source Software Be Released?

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Space_Cadet
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Can Properitary/Closed Source Software Be Released?

Post by Space_Cadet »

Let's say hypothetically, I create a commerical piece of software using wxdevcpp as my IDE to compile and create. Am I allowed to sell my software and keep the source code closed? The reason I ask is cause I am bit foggy about GPL and LGPL liscencing agreements when it comes to IDE or libraries/toolkits that that are under those liscence.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Yes, you can write closed-source/properitary software with wx-devcpp. The GPL/LGPL only applies to the source code of wx-devcpp not to programs you write with wx-devcpp. So someone couldn't take wx-devcpp and make it closed source. But programs you write with wx-devcpp can use any license you choose (so long as you are the author).

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

As a followup, the only time you'll need to worry about the wx-devcpp license is if you actually use our source code in your project. You should note that if you include or incorporate GPL'd source code INTO your source code, THEN you'll need to worry about the licensing (this goes for any license, not just GPL).

For example, if you write a program that uses a 3rd party's ODBC library to access databases, then you'll need to worry about the ODBC library's license. If it's a LGPL license, then you only need to release any changes you make to the ODBC library's source code; your own code can be closed. If it's a GPL (copy-left) license, then you'll have to release all of the source code as GPL-- even the stuff you wrote yourself (the so-called "poison-pill" of the GPL license). (I'm sure this will get a lot of discussion going on this point.)

However, also note that even if the project is GPL'd, you can still charge money for the binaries. GPL only provides that the source code be made freely available in some manner. You can charge whatever you like for binaries ($1, $100, $1M). The charge is just for the user's convience of not having to compile the program himself.

-Tony

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
Space_Cadet
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Space_Cadet »

Thanks for the input.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

It may be important to note that in using wx-Devcpp, if linking against wxWidgets (which by using wx-Devcpp, I assume you are), you are under the terms of the wxWidgets license. The wxWidgets license doesn't prohibit closed source proprietary software, but there are terms under which you can release closed source software built on wxWidgets.
arghott
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Can Properitary/Closed Source Software Be Released?

Post by arghott »

Hello all,

at first, I would like to say that WxWidgets and wxDev-C++ are really great products and I admire all its developers for coding them and also for distributing them under GPL / LGPL.

Now, excuse me to reply to such ancient topic, but I am really not sure about licensing of these two products and don't want to break any law. However, this topic contains most relevant information I was able to find within this forum or at any other place all over the net. So let me describe my situation:

- I am employee of a commercial company
- I would like to use WxWidgets for static builds
- I would like to code and build executables using wxDev-C++
- I don't want to create paid products (just free apps available for our customers, however it may change in the future)
- I need to distribute these executables as closed source programs
- I need to ship them with our standard company EULA

If I understand it correctly, it should be possible, however tierra in his post wrote:
but there are terms under which you can release closed source software built on wxWidgets
Can you, please, explain me what are these terms? Is it possible to get an "official" statement? Our Legal dpt. wants me to get a proof, that we will be able to use your products in the way I described it.

Thank you in advance,

Tomas
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

arghott
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arghott »

Thank you Tony for you prompt response.
Actually our lawyer already read this license, however there is nothing about usage of wxDev-C++ application. There is also no notice, which would confirm tierra's post:
if linking against wxWidgets (which by using wx-Devcpp, I assume you are), you are under the terms of the wxWidgets license
I am still quite confused. I would be very grateful If there is any possibility to sort this out, thanks.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Well, I'm a wxDev-C++ developer. Basically, the only issues with the wxDev-C++ license occur when you are actually trying to use the wxDev-C++ source code in your own stuff. For example, let's say you take our source code, change the about box, and rebuild it yourself to sell as "arghott Dev-C++". Or, you take a portion of our source code and try to use it in your own IDE. Both of those cases would fall under our LGPL license and you would basically need to allow others to download your changes and specify that you took our source code.

From what you're describing, however, it seems like you are simply using wxDev-C++ as an IDE to create your own original C++ programs. In that case, our licensing doesn't apply. You are simply using our IDE as a tool to create a build your own code. If you used MS Visual C++, it would be essentially the same thing.

Nevertheless, the wxWidgets license probably would apply if you are using their GUI widgets (which I assume you would be doing). But, from my layman's reading of their license, it does allow for proprietary software to include their components. Just be sure to note the use of their libraries and follow whatever else their license entails.

-Tony
arghott
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arghott »

Thank you very much Tony for such detailed clarification. It was very helpful indeed.

This topic can be marked as solved if necessary.

Best regards, Tomas