Supporting alternative libraries debug/unicode etc

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Supporting alternative libraries debug/unicode etc

Post by Sof_T »

I was wondering if the next version of wxDevCpp could include alternative compilations of the wxWidgets libraries. For example a unicode build complete with a template for creating unicode projects.

Alternatively since this would increase download size considerably have a devpaks in the download section which would add this functionality.

I know this would not work on non-unicode platforms but it would be beneficial to NT+ users. The same applies with debug libraries.

Sof.T
chris
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by chris »

Yeah, that would be great, though it quadruples the package quantity. Still, seconded by me!
Also possible would be using MSLU for Unicode support on pre-NT Windows, but that would be over the line a bit, I guess. :lol:

Chris
this->signature=NULL;
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

NinjaNL has a tutorial on creating devpaks (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=1764)

I think the main question has always been what devpaks variations to create and where to store them. The consensus thusfar has been just to provide the instructions on devpak creation so that the user can create his own custom devpak. I suppose we could revisit the idea if there's a lot of support for it, but we could probably use a volunteer to create/host the new devpaks.

-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
chris
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by chris »

Hi,

hosting would be no problem, just drop me a line if in need.

Chris
this->signature=NULL;
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

one of the requests somewhere was to create release/debug builds of a project, I'm thinking about this, and perhaps i can integrate it with my current VC code.
chris
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by chris »

I'd really like that. This could simply be done by letting the user select a profile that sets the relevant compiler options. Those profiles could be
wx-ANSI-Debug
wx-ANSI-Release
wx-Unicode-Debug
wx-Unicode-Release.
The selected profile would have to be stored in the project file.

Also selecting a profile should preserve user selected compiler directives like preprocessor symbols (e.g. -DFOO). Directives like -Osomething on the other hand could be overwritten when selecting a profile. This would be feasible because you usually don't want -O2 in a debug build, for example, but if you really want it, you could still manually set that option after selecting a profile.

What do you think, is this doable without too much obstacles?

Chris
this->signature=NULL;
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

I'd really like that. This could simply be done by letting the user select a profile that sets the relevant compiler options. Those profiles could be
wx-ANSI-Debug
wx-ANSI-Release
wx-Unicode-Debug
wx-Unicode-Release.
The selected profile would have to be stored in the project file.
Actually, this can be done with the current version. dev-cpp supports multiple compiler profiles. If you go to Tools->Compiler Options, you'll see that you can add a new compiler profile with the green plus button. Once you add a new compiler profile, just change things as you need them in that settings box. Then in Project->Project Options, you can switch between compiler profiles.

Note that this is only valid for the gcc compiler since the makefiles commands are generated specifically for gcc. However, with the VC branch, we've made it possible to specify the compiler as either Mingw (gcc) or MS VC++.

-Tony
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

i think what is better is that you have a compiler set to define a compiler type, and you use project options to configure what type of project to build... confiruing build commands with compiler sets are rather messy (im using it, i cant set any project specific options, i have to use the global options)
chris
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by chris »

I was thinking of something besides the compiler options. I meant an additional switch solely for providing the wx specific stuff.
If you've got special options (like defines) for both the compiler and project options, you'd have to add those to each profile you create (wx ANSI/Unicode, Debug/Release), and that's error prone and tedious.
If the wx stuff would reside outside of both the compiler and project options, you could switch between different builds without having to add your private stuff to the options.
this->signature=NULL;
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

If the wx stuff would reside outside of both the compiler and project options, you could switch between different builds without having to add your private stuff to the options.
There's something like this in the VC branch of wx-devcpp. We've defined a new field called PreProcDefines. It might be what you are describing. It's still unclear as to what features of our VC branch will make it back into the main wx-devcpp branch.

-Tony
chris
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by chris »

That's great if there is also something like this available in the branch.
Like I said, I'd really appreciate such a switch.

Are there any other peoples who also want this? :D

Chris
this->signature=NULL;