How to speed up GUI redraw?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
BBSnowman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How to speed up GUI redraw?

Post by BBSnowman »

Hi everybody...

my issue is the speed the GUI draws some text on the screen.

I wrote a tiny progress dialog with a simple gauge and some text on it. The frame is derived from wxDialog and is brought to screen via Show() in the ctor. Perfect so far. But when I create the dialog the gauge runs fine but the text is not drawn at all. To avoid this, I added a wxSleep(1) at the end of the ctor and that works. But that couldn't be the right way, could it?

Is there a function like wxWaitRedraw() or something like that? Waiting a second for the GUI to draw some text hurts!

Thanks for your hints
Chris

[wxWindows 2.4.2/vc7 2003/WinXP]
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: How to speed up GUI redraw?

Post by Ryan Norton »

BBSnowman wrote:Hi everybody...

my issue is the speed the GUI draws some text on the screen.

I wrote a tiny progress dialog with a simple gauge and some text on it. The frame is derived from wxDialog and is brought to screen via Show() in the ctor. Perfect so far. But when I create the dialog the gauge runs fine but the text is not drawn at all. To avoid this, I added a wxSleep(1) at the end of the ctor and that works. But that couldn't be the right way, could it?

Is there a function like wxWaitRedraw() or something like that? Waiting a second for the GUI to draw some text hurts!

Thanks for your hints
Chris

[wxWindows 2.4.2/vc7 2003/WinXP]
Are you overloading the paint event or are you using a wxClientDC to draw on the window?

If doing the former, are you double-buffering it?
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
BBSnowman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BBSnowman »

None of both. I don't handle a paint event. I'm only creating the text in the constructor.

What do you mean by double-buffering?
Jasper
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Jasper »

How do you handle drawing the guage vs. the text? If the text doesn't draw at all and a sleep solves the problem it sounds to me like your progress bar update function is blocking the main event loop (although I still wouldn't now why it wouldn't draw at all, but I don't know exactly what you're doing, so it's rather difficult to tell), so you may want to try updating the progress bar on idle events (one step at a time, don't block it!) or something like that (Yield might work too).
Jasper
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Jasper »

BTW, double-buffering is a scheme in which you draw on a memory dc and then display that when you've finished drawing, instead of drawing directly to the screen.