6.9alpha release

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
tbreina

6.9alpha release

Post by tbreina »

We're gearing up to release wxdevcpp 6.9beta. I've put together an alpha package on my website for anyone interested in stress testing it (mostly for our developers, but anyone is welcome to use it). There's also the latest alpha exectuable which contains a lot of Guru's last minute bugfixes.

A 6.8->6.9 changelog can be found at http://reina.homedns.org/wxdevcpp/wxdev ... anges.html

Note MS VC++ support didn't make it into this one (mostly because Joel and I weren't able to work on it in December), but we'll do our best to see that it makes it into 7.0. Also, Esteban is talking with Colin Laplace about creating an add-on system for dev-cpp which would move wx-devcpp to be simply an add-on package rather than a fork of devcpp.

Look for 6.9beta release in the next few weeks.

Happy New Year!
-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

This is great news. Thanks to all the developers for their hard work on a great product. Just one question, will the 2.6.2 library of wxWidgets be included in the release (not mentioned on the change log).

Sof.T
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Just one question, will the 2.6.2 library of wxWidgets be included in the release (not mentioned on the change log).
Yes, it's definitely 2.6.2. I think I downloaded the devpak with ODBC support. Also, gdb, gcc, and mingw-runtime are the current ones that are on the official devpak server.

My alpha1 package also has some fixes that still need to be reviewed by the developers. One potential fix I think should allow people to use wxdevcpp from within a directory that contains spaces in the name. I'm hoping it works as intended.

There will most likely be an alpha2 and possibly an alpha3 or 4.

-Tony

p.s. If anyone is interested in helping out with the project, we could always use documentation (e.g. tutorials). I'd really like to get a tutorial on using the gdb debugger. A bonus is that it will verify that our debugger fixes really work as advertised. Another useful tutorial would be using sizers.
ross
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ross »

Hi,

I've tried to compile my simple opengl program. It compiles but fails to link.
In the IDE (code insight thing) I see that for wxGLCanvas instead of
wxGLCanvas(parent,...........) where parent should be a wxWindow, instead parent is a wxHtmlHelpDataItem? Wierd!

same code compiles and links fine in 6.8

Cheers,
Ross

compile log
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\Makefile.win"
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\newProgramFrameApp.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\newProgramFrame.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\ChildUnit.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\wxGLViewCanvas.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\TaylorZernikeUnit.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\ChildImageUnit.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\ArrayUnit.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\FilterUnit.cpp
Finding dependencies for file: C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\WaveFrontUnit.cpp
Executing make...
make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\Wavefront04b\Makefile.win" all
windres.exe -i Project1_private.rc --input-format=rc -o Compiled/Project1_private.res -O coff --include-dir C:/Dev-Cpp/include --include-dir C:/Dev-Cpp/lib

windres.exe: warning: 24: 1: 1033: duplicate value

g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ Compiled/newProgramFrameApp.obj Compiled/newProgramFrame.obj Compiled/ChildUnit.obj Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj Compiled/TaylorZernikeUnit.obj Compiled/ChildImageUnit.obj Compiled/ArrayUnit.obj Compiled/FilterUnit.obj Compiled/WaveFrontUnit.obj Compiled/Project1_private.res -o "Compiled\Project1.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -mwindows -lwxmsw26 -lwxmsw26_gl -lwxtiff -lwxjpeg -lwxpng -lwxzlib -lwxregex -lwxexpat -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lrpcrt4 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32 -lopengl32 ../../lib/libglu32.a ../../lib/libfftw.a -g3

Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvasC2EP8wxWindowiRK7wxPointRK6wxSizelRK8wxStringPiRK9wxPalette':
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:72: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::wxGLCanvas(wxWindow*, int, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&, int*, wxPalette const&)'
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:81: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::SetCurrent()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvasC1EP8wxWindowiRK7wxPointRK6wxSizelRK8wxStringPiRK9wxPalette':

C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:72: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::wxGLCanvas(wxWindow*, int, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&, int*, wxPalette const&)'
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:81: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::SetCurrent()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvasD2Ev':
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:92: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::~wxGLCanvas()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvasD1Ev':
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:92: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::~wxGLCanvas()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvasD0Ev':
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvas5PaintER4wxDC':
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:143: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::SetCurrent()'
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:268: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZN14wxGLViewCanvas6OnSizeER11wxSizeEvent':
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:299: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::OnSize(wxSizeEvent&)'
C:/Dev-Cpp/Projects/Wavefront04b/wxGLViewCanvas.cpp:306: undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::SetCurrent()'
Compiled/wxGLViewCanvas.obj: In function `ZNK12wxWindowBase10GetMinSizeEv':
C:/Dev-Cpp/include/wx/window.h:(.rdata+0x0): undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::sm_eventTable'
C:/Dev-Cpp/include/wx/window.h:(.rdata$_ZTV14wxGLViewCanvas[vtable for wxGLViewCanvas]+0x8): undefined reference to `wxGLCanvas::GetClassInfo() const'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make.exe: *** [Compiled/Project1.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

From the changes.txt document

Code: Select all

- wxGLCanvas now derives directly from wxWindow, not wxScrolledWindow
Is this perhaps the reason?
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
ross
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ross »

No. I pass "parent" (a wxWindow pointer) to wxGLCanvas. So this should not be a problem. For some reason though the code insight thing says parent is a wxHtmlHelpDataItem. That I dont understand!?
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Strange.

Could you zip up your project and send it to me? [email protected]

My guest has just left so I am available again to try to help.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
Shaba1
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Shaba1 »

On simple request from a C++ and a Wx-Dev C++ newbie. When 6.9 is finally released PLEASE,PLEASE make step by step instructions for upgrading or installing over the previous version. SCREENSHOTS would be enormously helpful.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

ross wrote:Hi,

I've tried to compile my simple opengl program. It compiles but fails to link.
In the IDE (code insight thing) I see that for wxGLCanvas instead of
wxGLCanvas(parent,...........) where parent should be a wxWindow, instead parent is a wxHtmlHelpDataItem? Wierd!

same code compiles and links fine in 6.8

Cheers,
Ross
Mal might have found the problem. Looks like the GL library in the devpak I included was screwy (1 KB in size rather than ~60 KB). I'm in the process of getting a new one. When I do, I'll post an alpha2 and we can see if your program works again.

-Tony
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Shaba1 wrote:On simple request from a C++ and a Wx-Dev C++ newbie. When 6.9 is finally released PLEASE,PLEASE make step by step instructions for upgrading or installing over the previous version. SCREENSHOTS would be enormously helpful.
I added a "Tip #4: Upgrading" to the FAQ (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?p=27125#27125)

Does this help? Or, is there more info you need?

-Tony
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

ross wrote:No. I pass "parent" (a wxWindow pointer) to wxGLCanvas. So this should not be a problem. For some reason though the code insight thing says parent is a wxHtmlHelpDataItem. That I dont understand!?
OK, this seems to be related to the damaged DevPak that came with the release.

Interim solution, grab the DevPak from here and install it over the previous devpak. Do a REBUILD ALL (Ctrl+F11) and the problem should be gone.

I am currently working on getting the CVS Head compiled and will then check the examples. Once these build correctly, I will release a new DevPak for Tony to include in the distribution.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Interim solution, grab the DevPak from here and install it over the previous devpak. Do a REBUILD ALL (Ctrl+F11) and the problem should be gone.
Ironically, I PM'd ross yesterday and gave him that solution. After a rebuild all it worked just fine for him.

-Tony
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

tbreina wrote:

Ironically, I PM'd ross yesterday and gave him that solution. After a rebuild all it worked just fine for him.

-Tony
That'll teach me to check my email BEFORE I go off to any parties.
ross
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ross »

Hi Guys,

I've been using 6.9 for a week or two now and it seems a little more stable than 6.8. Top stuff!!

One thing I've noticed is the tendantcy for some controls to be given VB or Delphi names. I can understand there use but it ends up being a little of a niusance when trying to figure out how to use some of them.

For example the WxEdit control. In wx there is no WxEit control so my efforts to find WxEdit in the help were fuitless. Then after closer inspection I discovered (after swearing at the help for not helping) that it was in fact a wxTextCtrl.

Its small point but is it possilbe to keep the names consistant.

On a more seroius note how does one use precompiled headers. Every time I compile my project it takes ages (even for small one line changes). Is there a switch I'm not using?

Many thanks for all the great work. Really looking forward to using wxDevcpp with ms compiler

Regards
Ross
Bleu Raeder
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Bleu Raeder »

tbreina wrote:
Shaba1 wrote:On simple request from a C++ and a Wx-Dev C++ newbie. When 6.9 is finally released PLEASE,PLEASE make step by step instructions for upgrading or installing over the previous version. SCREENSHOTS would be enormously helpful.
I added a "Tip #4: Upgrading" to the FAQ (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?p=27125#27125)

Does this help? Or, is there more info you need?

-Tony
I think he means the wx-devcpp upgrade. As far as we can all see you have to uninstall wx-devcpp and then install the newer version. Is that correct, or am I off base here?