What 's lacking in wxWIdgets : a good docking lib

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
romeo9423
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

What 's lacking in wxWIdgets : a good docking lib

Post by romeo9423 »

Hi,

recently I wanted to use wxWidgets to port an existing application but I gave up because there is no good docking library.Actually I found two : wxDockit and wxIFM.
wxDockit works fine but its logic is a bit weird.
wxIFM has a good architecture but not easy to compile (no bakefile, no build directory, ...).

My question is when will wxWidgets have a integrated dock. lib ?
Maybe the easiest is to integrate wxIFM to the trunk...

To me, wxWidegts is not interesting as long as this question is not solved.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

If you follow the wx-devs mailing list, you will se they are very busy just doing that (wxIFM merge in wxWidgets).

Current issues there are;

- How does it look and behave on the wxMAC platform
- The API is not very consistent with wxWidgets

If that is working out just fine, then I guess wxIFM is incorporated.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
leio
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by leio »

And on the patch tracker there are patches that also patch the bakefile files in addition to adding wxIFM to wx sources, so that on running bakefile it would work for wxIFM.
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Re: What 's lacking in wxWIdgets : a good docking lib

Post by SnakeChomp »

romeo9423 wrote:To me, wxWidegts is not interesting as long as this question is not solved.
Your standards are just a bit too high if you would not consider using this fine library just because it doesn't have [some huge feature important to commercial applications]. Not everything is free or already made for you, you know.
rickg22
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Have you tried wxAUI?

Post by rickg22 »

It was developed late 2005, and even when it's "still in beta", we've found it to be stable enough as to use it for Code::Blocks IDE.

Here's some wxAUI screenshots
romeo9423
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: Have you tried wxAUI?

Post by romeo9423 »

Hi rick,

nice to talk to you because I am using CodeBlocks(win version) and I find it very useful. I thought that you were using wxDockit ?
Anyway I have finally choosed wxIFM and I find it good enough even if there is still some "bugs".
To see my app (for now inspired by CodeBlocks but I am moving away as fast as I can) http://smartdev-info.com/IMG/zip/SmartTester.zip (prealpha)
By the way it has nothing to do with the current topic but I have found that if you copy my application directly to a drive root (ex C:\), XRC resources are not found while it is if you create a directory (ex:C:\SmarTester), it should be the same for CodeBlocks...
But I know this is not important.

I had a look at wxAUI and its approach is very similar to wxIFM so I don't understand the interest ...
It seems that wxIFM is even more advanced.

rickg22 wrote:It was developed late 2005, and even when it's "still in beta", we've found it to be stable enough as to use it for Code::Blocks IDE.

Here's some wxAUI screenshots
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have you tried wxAUI?

Post by tierra »

romeo9423 wrote:I had a look at wxAUI and its approach is very similar to wxIFM so I don't understand the interest ...
It seems that wxIFM is even more advanced.
wxAUI was started before the first copy of wxIFM was ever released (it was probably started around the same time wxIFM was). It takes a different, simpler approach to a docking library without a plugin architecture, and as far as I've played with it, it looks like it also takes a significantly different approach to mouse position docking behaviour (where you have to drag the mouse to dock the window where you want it) making it better suited for different applications with a different user base most likely (not to say I like it better myself). So it has it's advantages and disadvantages over wxIFM.