broken RSS creation Topic is solved

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
ABX
Can't get richer than this

broken RSS creation

Post by ABX »

Hi!

I don't know if it is related to new server or if this is old issue but whatever I select in "Create RSS" then I get "No matches found".

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
This was not related to the server change.

I don't use rss, but I suspect that it shouldn't have worked in the old forum too. Selecting nothing would have worked, but for specific forums, there was a bug in the rss script.

Kind of a real stupid bug: An array with the selections is passed and processed. It it checked wether the array is present and if it is a variable for that array should be processed. Problem: The array never got the variables from the form assigned.... I don't know if this was the case in the old forum too, but I assigned it now and it should work.

Could you please check again?
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
ABX

Post by ABX »

upCASE wrote:Could you please check again?
Yes, works fine, thanks!

Unfortunatelly it still returns "wxWidgets Discussion Forum" as title of every forum selected instead of forum name itself. I don't understand why it doesn't do it if forum ID is given in RSS url.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
ABX

Post by ABX »

ABX wrote:Unfortunatelly it still returns "wxWidgets Discussion Forum" as title of every forum selected instead of forum name itself. I don't understand why it doesn't do it if forum ID is given in RSS url.
There seem to be no interest in fixing it :( Some of the readers (to name one: google/reader) doesn't allow to rename feed title so having ten forums with the same "wxWidgets Discussion Forum" title is useless. Anyway I'm writing this just to let you know that I made a little wrapper over wxForum generators which takes created RSS stream and replaces that misleading title with real title of the group. Now I could subscribe to my wrapper and have correct names. If anyone is interested I can provide url privately but I would prefer to not link it in the public post to not get my server bandwith overloaded.

BTW: my server also contains wrappers for wx-mailing list which reformats and packs lists for displaying on small screens - handy for reading lists traveling through PDAs and phones.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

ABX wrote:There seem to be no interest in fixing it :(
Sometimes it's just a question of time.... and I'm lacking that right now :(
However, I made some changes to the code. It should now return the correct forum name, description and provide the correct link to the specific forum.

Please check if that works and suits your needs.

ABX

Post by ABX »

upCASE wrote:
ABX wrote:There seem to be no interest in fixing it :(
Sometimes it's just a question of time....
Sorry, I didn't meant yours interest. I meant noone else considers it a problem. Perhaps noone else use RSS ;-)

BTW: The problem occur also in such large sites like RSS with downloadable content from Nokia.
upCASE wrote:It should now return the correct forum name, description and provide the correct link to the specific forum.
Please check if that works and suits your needs.
Thanks! Seems fine. The only thing I would think could be usefull are labels which in others feeds automatically cateforize content. I think it's named 'category' in rss syntax. Labels for feeds could be as follow: "wxwidgets, wxforum, <name of the forum>". Would that be easy for you?

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

ABX wrote:Thanks! Seems fine. The only thing I would think could be usefull are labels which in others feeds automatically cateforize content. I think it's named 'category' in rss syntax. Labels for feeds could be as follow: "wxwidgets, wxforum, <name of the forum>". Would that be easy for you?
Glad it works.

From what googling told me, "category" is correct. I'll see what I can to.

ABX

Post by ABX »

upCASE wrote:
ABX wrote:Thanks! Seems fine. The only thing I would think could be usefull are labels which in others feeds automatically cateforize content. I think it's named 'category' in rss syntax. Labels for feeds could be as follow: "wxwidgets, wxforum, <name of the forum>". Would that be easy for you?
Glad it works.

From what googling told me, "category" is correct. I'll see what I can to.
Thanks in advance. I just noticed that post I wrote had not disabled html and display of my previous syntax was a little broken. I meant default labels as: "wxwidgets, wxforum, [name of the forum]".

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Weird...
I updated the RSS template and added category entities, but they don't show up... They are on the server now, I've no clue what's wrong.

I'll try again later.