wxUniversal wxDialog issue

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
silcreval
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxUniversal wxDialog issue

Post by silcreval »

HI,

Tried compiling the wxUniversal variant on Macos X. I realise it may/may not be up to date, but got quite far into the build.

Configured with

./configure --disable-shared --enable-unversal

and compilation continued for quite a while. It failed on

../src/osx/cocoa/utils.mm:279:15: error: no member named 'ModalFinishedCallback' in 'wxDialog'
impl->ModalFinishedCallback(sheet, returnCode);
~~~~ ^
1 error generated.

Might this be expected, or is there some config I can use to get round it?

Thanks
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wxUniversal wxDialog issue

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Is there a reason why do you want to use wxUniversal (seriously unmaintained port)?

It is expected that many features will not work correctly or even crash the program.

So unless you yoursef prepared to work on the wxUniversal in addition to your own code - I suggest to use the default wxCocoa.

Thank you.
silcreval
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by silcreval »

Hi,

So I'm interested in getting wxWidgets working with emscripten, and the wxUniversal output looks viable for this.

The wxWidgets app I'm trying to port, is about 6-7 years old so its not using newer features. I can put time into wxUniversal if its just missing functionality.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
It is not just missing functionality - some stuff does not work and some work partially.

If you are ready to spend huge amount of time just to bring the wxUniversal up-to-date, I suggest to send an E-mail to wx-users ML.

It will serve a purpose of notifying other people that you will be working on the wxUniversal and you will make sure that no one else is doing it.

But as I said - be ready to spend significant amount of time on it. Especially if you are on OSX.

Thank you.
silcreval
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by silcreval »

So going back through the repo, 2.8.12 seems to compile fine with wxUniversal on Centos 8. I'll see if I can get this going with Nano X.

Just to simplify the port - I see I can disable quite a bit of stuff in the config, whats the minimum you can have to get a hello world window?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
By trial and error.

But you really should use GTK port of wxWidgets.

Thank you.

P.S.: In 2.8 even though it compiles stuff still didn't work correctly. Besides now that *nix is going Wayland I don't think wxUniversal will lead anywhere. It is still based on the X and I don't believe there is a plan to re-write it with Wayland in mind.

Thank you.
silcreval
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by silcreval »

Understood, what I'm trying to do first is a proof of concept to see if I can get any version of the codebase to work this way. If it does I can back out and determine best approach, etc.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
While core wx-dev team will accept fixes for the build and functionality for wxUniversal, they themselves lost interest in it. All the effort is moving towards the native ports implementation (wxMSW, wxGTK/wxQt and wxCocoa).

That's why I wrote that you are on your own and it is better to start with the native port of the library, then try to switch back and force.

Also keep in mind that right now (in 2020) wxUniversal is mostly used to start a new port of wxWidgets - to have a skeleton implementation for a new port and then create a native set of widgets on top.

Thank you.