accessibility required for controls

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
marco_84
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

accessibility required for controls

Post by marco_84 »

Hello everyone,
sorry if I break again but I need help.
If possible could you give me an accessibility implementation for textctrl both in multiline and in singleline?
I need it because on windows o.s. I can't get an answer from my project that I launch from the terminal,
and for this reason I am obliged to do the graphics to get an answer from the project and to be able to listen to it by myself through windows 10 narrator because I don't want to ask for help every second to make it read by whoever sees us

Thanks for your help

p.s. I'm using wxwidgets 3.1.3

Marco_84
Last edited by marco_84 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm using: Ubuntu and Windows platform with wxwidgets 3.1.4
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: accessibility required for textctrl

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
So why not just implement wxAccessible methods for wxTextCtrl?

You are on Windows so it should be pretty simple.

Thank you.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

wxTextCtrl wraps native EDIT common control so I would expect accessibility to work out of the box.

I have no experience with Narrator but it seems to read the content of wxTextCtrls (plain, rich, single-line, multi-line) in the "edit" sample just fine?

wxWidgets master, Windows 10
marco_84
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by marco_84 »

Hi oneeyeman

I'm still learning to use wxwidgets with accessibility,
I haven't been able to make windows 10 narrator speak with an implementation of personal accessibility, the only thing I managed to make him pronounce is just the name of the window.
Before I asked for help for the treelist, it works with the implementation of wxwidgets 3.1.3 which make narrator read the first column of the treelist without implementing anything, so I was satisfied

If you can give me an example of implementation of the wxaccessible for textctrl and if (I don't ask too much) you can also post an example for the treelist in order to understand how they are done because the examples of minimal.cpp are very complex and to make a customization on another I can't control it

Hi pb i tried with the native implementation of the textctrl but narrator doesn't read it

Thanks for your help

marco_84
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

I know nothing about accessibility, all I know it just works on my computer as I would expect. But I have no experience with Narrator so I may be missing something.

I have also just tried the wxTreeCtrl (which wraps the native treeview control) with "treectrl" sample. That also works as expected, Narrator reads the node label, says whether it is expanded or collapsed, selected or not and also announces that it is item number X out of Y. And when I change items with arrows, it continues working and correctly announcing item names and properties.

Sorry for stupid question. Did you actually build the Windows version and not the Universal one?

As I wrote above, wxWidgets just uses the native accessibility implementation for the native common controls such as wxTextCtrl and wxTreeCtrl, AFAIK there is no extra wxWidgets code involved.
marco_84
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by marco_84 »

hello pb I have problems with wxtreelistctrl on two columns or more, the first column is read correctly as you write, but the content of the other columns is not read even by forcing with the narrator keys (capslock + right arrow or left arrow).
Regards the compilation I use mingw because it is easier to use for me because I'm a blind person

Thanks for your help

marco_84
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

wxTreeCtrl does not have columns? And if you meant levels (i.e., the items belonging to the parent node), in the "treectrl" sample it seems to read all the levels (there are just two though, not counting "Root") fine. In my cursory testing, Narrator seems to work the same both for wxTreeCtrl in the "treectrl" sample and for the folder tree in the File Explorer.

There is also wxTreeListCtrl (based on wxDataViewCtrl) used in the "treelist" sample which can have both tree and columns. But this is not a native control and I could not make Narrator work for it at all.

I am afraid I won't be able to help you any more, as I said, I know nothing about Accessibility, and on my computer Narrator seems to work as I would expect it to. Hopefully someone else here is more knowledgeable...
marco_84
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by marco_84 »

Hello pb I meant the wxtreelistctrl
I am waiting for someone to give me better help

thanks anyway

I tried to compile a program with wxtextctrl both with single-line and multi-line but when I switch from one text control to another text control. The narrator speaks only "edit" and when I moving with the arrows narrator does not report anything

Thanks for your help

marco_84
marco_84
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by marco_84 »

There is another accessibility problem also on ubuntu 18.04 the example of treectrl is not read by the orca narrator of ubuntu, when I enter the tree and move with the arrows orca does not say anything while, if I go on "log" at the bottom the screen reads everything I pressis there anyone.
Who can correct this problem too?

P.S. to turn on or off orca on ubuntu the keys are: Alt key + key with windows logo + letter s pressed together
I'm using on ubuntu the wxwidgets V.3.1.3

marco_84