Missing setup.h when upgrading to wx3.1.3 Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Missing setup.h when upgrading to wx3.1.3

Post by art-ganseforth »

Hello,

i use CodeBlocks 17.12 @ win10 and MinGW - currently with wx 3.1.2. Now i want to compile with wx 3.1.3.

What i did:
I downloaded and unpacked the 7z-file, so that i have two wxWidgets-folders now: "wxWidgets-3.1.2" and "wxWidgets-3.1.3".
I changed all haeader-, library-, and resource-search-paths to the new folder.
I tried to rebuild all.

The result is:

Code: Select all

In file included from ..\..\wxWidgets-3.1.3\include/wx/defs.h:45,
                 from ..\..\wxWidgets-3.1.3\include/wx/wx.h:14,
                 from F:\codeblocks-17.12-nosetup\Projects\19-01-29 - ThreadTest - WX3\_Main.h:24,
                 from F:\codeblocks-17.12-nosetup\Projects\19-01-29 - ThreadTest - WX3\_Controls.cpp:4:
..\..\wxWidgets-3.1.3\include/wx/platform.h:154:10: fatal error: wx/setup.h: No such file or directory
It seems, that i forgot to change a parameter or a path. Any idea wht this might be?

Thank you,
Frank
doublemax

Re: Missing setup.h when upgrading to wx3.1.3

Post by doublemax »

There is a "master" copy of setup.h in <wxdir>/include/wx/msw/

If you build wxWidgets with a specific configuration, this will be copied to e.g. <wxdir>/lib/vc_lib/mswu/wx/
(The parts "vc_lib" and "mswu" are compiler/config specific).

This path must also be added to your include paths.
Use the source, Luke!
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

Okay, but i'm a little bit confused now.

I added <wxDir>/include/wx/msw/ to the incluse-search-paths, but shurely this is not what you ment.
The problem occurs at the line...

#include "wx/setup.h"
...but there is no /wx-subfolder in <wxDir>/include/wx/msw/

I also tried to copy <wxDir>/include/wx/msw/steup.h to <wxDir>/include/wx/setup.h manually. Doing this, the compiler reports several of the following errors:

..\..\wxWidgets-3.1.2\include\wx\msw\dde.h|93|error: 'wxDDEConnectionList' does not name a type; did you mean 'wxDDEConnection'?
Was it the wrong file, that i copied?

Thank you,
Frank
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

Oh, i see that the dde-error occurs in wrong wxDir. I'll try to find, what i forgot...
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Do not copy setup.h anywhere (unless you are using GIT version). The setup.h in the build-specific folder gets created by the wxWidgets build process or is available with the pre-built binaries (in a file such as e.g. wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z).
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Did you actually build the wxWidgets libraries after switching to 3.1.3? If yes, with command line(s) did you use?
Use the source, Luke!
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

I cleaned up everything and restarted it. I also found the missing binaries wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z etc.

After unpacking everything, i had several linker-errors. When i was looking for the reason, i found out, that .a-files in the wx 3.1.2-setup are located in <wxDir>/lib/gcc_lib, but wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z extacts them into the dll-subfolder <wxDir>/lib/gcc730_dll.

In order to keep the folder-structure the same as wx 3.1.2 i created the folder gcc_lib manually and moved all the .a-files. This was mostly succesfully, but obviously one .a-file is missing in wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z: libwxmsw31u.a is not contained in the archive.

I don't know, where to find it or how to build it myself (tried to look for a source, but i could not find it). Any idea what to do?

Thanks for your help,
Frank
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

doublemax wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:30 pm Did you actually build the wxWidgets libraries after switching to 3.1.3? If yes, with command line(s) did you use?
No, i never did it myself. I just downloded the binaries (see post before).
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

art-ganseforth wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:20 pm After unpacking everything, i had several linker-errors. When i was looking for the reason, i found out, that .a-files in the wx 3.1.2-setup are located in <wxDir>/lib/gcc_lib, but wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z extacts them into the dll-subfolder <wxDir>/lib/gcc730_dll.

In order to keep the folder-structure the same as wx 3.1.2 i created the folder gcc_lib manually and moved all the .a-files. This was mostly succesfully, but obviously one .a-file is missing in wxMSW-3.1.3_gcc730_Dev.7z: libwxmsw31u.a is not contained in the archive.
Your Code::Blocks project seems to be setup for static (gcc_lib = static, gcc_dll = dynamic) monolithic (libwxmsw31u.a) build. The prebuilt binaries are available only as dynamic multilib builds.

If you are for some reason unfamiliar with the terminology used above I recommend reading the basic wxWidgets install guide:
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/plat_msw_install.html
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

I already tried to change this for a short while, but i could not find the correct flags and as i was not shure if this is the reason, i've stopped it.

Currently i do some other things. I'll try later it again...

I'll mark this thread as solved if i'm successfull. Otherwise i'll continue it probably.

Thank you so far.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

There are build instructions for MinGW in <wxdir>/docs/msw/install.md

And here are some extensive instructions for CB/MinGW: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46125
Use the source, Luke!
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

Hello,

i've red a bit in your links, but for the moment, this is too complicated for me. I've not enough time to learn all of this - not at least because I'm not a native english-speaker.

I've a provisoric solution, that i can use for my application until i find the time to lean this...

Thank you anyway....

Best,
Frank
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
What language do you speak?
Maybe there is an instruction about C::B in your native tongue already exists?

Thank you.
art-ganseforth
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by art-ganseforth »

I'm from germany.

I think, my' problem' is not C::B. It's almost the opposite: I never worked without IDE. I never wrote a makefile etc. So, i don't know how all of this is working together. Years ago i downloaded an old wxDevC++-setup as a package, that worked immideately after installing. This i used for some windows-experience (i lerned c-basics in 1990th (ANSI-standard) - but also that time i used an IDE. Last year i've changed to C::B and wx312 and i'm quiet happy that it works, but i still did not comile wx myself.
Also some years ago, i was intersted in if i can do some graphic-things, but never would have expected to write a complete application on my own, but this is what i somehow did step by step. So this is the point, where i am: having a working application that i use myself, to produce live-visual-arts, but no experience in all this backgrounds...