[Translations] Load one catalogue over anoher

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Virchanza
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

[Translations] Load one catalogue over anoher

Post by Virchanza »

My application is written in English and uses the underscore prefix for translateable strings. So far I have a German and Irish translation.

I have noticed something though. If I do these steps in order:
(1) Load the catalog for German
(2) Recreate the GUI
(3) Load the catog for Irish
(4) Recreate the GUI

In Step 4, if the Irish catalog is missing any strings, then the one's from German are used. Note that they aren't taken from English.

I wonder if this is by design, because it could prove very useful for a sub-translations. For example let's say I create a catalog for Spanish containing 115 translations. Let's say I then create a catalog for Mexican Spanish but I only put 8 translations in it (because the other 107 are the same as Spanish). I could then load the Spanish catalog, and then load the Mexican catalogue on top of it. Does anyone do this?

By the way, in the scenario above where I load the Irish catalogue on top of the German one, what is the proper way of unloading the German one before loading the Irish one? I am using wxTranslations directly instead of using wxLocale.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: [Translations] Load one catalogue over anoher

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Out of curiosity - do you know any German language?
Are you doing any sorting in your software?

And I believe the question you asked - yes, it is by design.

Thank you.
Virchanza
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Virchanza »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:35 pm Out of curiosity - do you know any German language?
Are you doing any sorting in your software?

And I believe the question you asked - yes, it is by design.
I can comfortably have a conversation in English (my first language), Lao and Irish. My Irish is a little rusty though, I'd want to go to an Irish-speaking area for a week to get it back the way it was 15 years ago. My tones in Lao become a bit random if I don't speak regularly... hopefully they'll come back though (for instance a one-syllable word can have 3, 4 or even 5 meanings depending how you pitch your voice).

Because I can speak Lao, I can understand a lot of Thai and speak it a little. It wouldn't take me long to get my Thai as free-flowing as my Lao (maybe a month or two of daily speaking) although I suspect a listening Thai would keenly notice that I sound very Lao-ish.

I speak English with 3 accents depending who I'm talking to (Dublin English, Northern Ireland English, New York English).

And then there's the two languages I'm learning: German and Italian. I did German for 3 years in high school, and started back learning it again last year, but it will be another few months before I can chat freely. I was learning Italian as I go there every Christmas, but then I made the mistake of trying to learn Spanish too... they are too similar to keep separate when at an early stage of learning. I go to the Canary Islands in the Summertime so it's difficult not to try speak Spanish when I'm there (even though I'll ruin my Italian by doing so).

I try to pick up a language if I'm around a group of people speaking it. For instance my church has interns over from Belarus and so I tried learning a little Russian with the DuoLingo app on my phone. I only see them once or twice a week though so that won't go very far.

From time to time I pop into the African church near me so I play around with a few words of Yoruba :wink:
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

You may have to destroy the current wxTranslations instance. (Just guessing, i never used the built-in translations system).
Use the source, Luke!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I'm asking because you might get in trouble if you do sorting in your program.
Doing a natural sort versus alphabetical sort versus grammar sort might be tricky enough for you to want to put the locale back in the picture. ;-)

But I think the translation as you described should work the way you want to. (Spanish for 100 phrases + Mexican for 8 ). You just need to make sure that when Mexican is selected - the Mexican translation will pop-up and not Spanish.

I personally never played with the i18n, but making it right is a huge PITA). ;-)

Thank you.