How to install and use wx-config from a CI environment using Windows?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
not_a_seagull
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How to install and use wx-config from a CI environment using Windows?

Post by not_a_seagull »

I am trying to use appveyor (https://www.appveyor.com/) in order to test the Windows build of an app using wxWidgets. I personally use Linux on my dev computer, and I need to accomplish the following from the Windows command line:

1). Download and install wxWidgets
2). Download and install wx-config
3). Use wx-config to get the flags for g++ needed to compile.
4). Run the program that builds my code.

I figured out how to use chocolately and the "wxWidgets" package to accomplish Step 1 (alternatively, I'm aware that I can download the headers and the DLLs from the GitHub releases page). I'm struggling with Step 2. Neither the chocolately package nor the GitHub release ships with the "wx-config" command. I'm aware of the wx-config-win package on GitHub (https://github.com/kowey/wx-config-win), but it appears to be outdated since it does not work properly with either of the installation methods I detailed.

Is there an alternative way of getting the WX compilation flags?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: How to install and use wx-config from a CI environment using Windows?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You can set up a fork on GitHub and point the AppVeyor to you fork.
That way you can compile wxWidgets the way you want it and use it that way.

"wx-config" is very *nix'y. It is used in the *nix/OSX world in order to set up the different packages that depends on the library.
In Windows if you use Cygwin you compile wxWidgets with the "configure && make". When you run "configure" wx-config file will be produced.

If you use MinGW you should not be using configure - rather use mingw32 executable. And therefore you will not get wx-config.

Thank you.

P.S.: Why do you need to know the compile options for wxWidgets? Are you using non-default set?