good and simple to use IDE for wxWidgets based applications?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

good and simple to use IDE for wxWidgets based applications?

Post by gtafan »

I started developing wxWidgets based applications with wxDev many years ago and it was realy the best IDE for such purpose, but unfortunatelly DevCpp died, so I had to change to CodeBlocks. CodeBlocks is defenetly not as easy to use as wxDev, specially at he begining, where you have to build wxWidgets on your own and then do all that manual configurations for CodeBlocks. However even with all that small disadvantages CodeBlocks was still the best posible solution, but since 2 years there are no CodeBlocks releases, which means at least for me it´s dead. So I am searching for some new IDE with suport for developing wxWidgets based applications. I don´t care much if it´s worcking on diferent OS, it should just worck on Windows. VS wouldn´t be a solution, since the only way to get it is iligal.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: good and simple to use IDE for wxWidgets based applications?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

wxWiki has lists of available IDEs and RADs.

FWIW I use CodeLite, which is still actively developed.

Regards,

David
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

VS wouldn´t be a solution, since the only way to get it is iligal.
VS Community is free, even for commercial use, it just requires you to register it. The only limitation of the licence is that you're not allowed to link the CRTs statically.

If you don't need a graphical GUI designer and can live with a Windows only solution, i think VS is still be best choice. In terms of compilation speed (clean wxWidgets build takes 60secs on SSD with an i7 CPU) and the quality of the debugger, nothing else comes even close.
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Hi,
gtafan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm However even with all that small disadvantages CodeBlocks was still the best posible solution, but since 2 years there are no CodeBlocks releases, which means at least for me it´s dead.
This is not entirely true. C::B Nighly are constantly being built. See this forum link. Dunno why they do not do a General release which gives them bad PR.
gtafan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm So I am searching for some new IDE with suport for developing wxWidgets based applications. I don´t care much if it´s worcking on diferent OS, it should just worck on Windows. VS wouldn´t be a solution, since the only way to get it is iligal.
I never loved Visual Studio, but it was long ago and I read a lot have changed for good since then and as DM wrote MS have changed a lot for good. So check it out. Personally I use CodeLite and it is serving me very well. Only caveat is they no longer build Mac bundles for pre 10.14. Since you want Windows only that does not apply to you!
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
Kvaz1r
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Kvaz1r »

I also use VS Community. Unfortunately all known alternatives are significantly inferior in convenience.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

doublemax wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 pm
VS Community is free, even for commercial use, it just requires you to register it. The only limitation of the licence is that you're not allowed to link the CRTs statically.

If you don't need a graphical GUI designer and can live with a Windows only solution, i think VS is still be best choice. In terms of compilation speed (clean wxWidgets build takes 60secs on SSD with an i7 CPU) and the quality of the debugger, nothing else comes even close.
I defenetly don´t want to register, since I am worcking ofline. Also not a fan of free versions of comercial software, since they can´t be good. I mean if the free version would be good who the f*** would waste money for comercial one? Also since a graphical GUI designer is the most important part, VS is defenetlly of no use for me.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

evstevemd wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:23 pm Hi,
gtafan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm However even with all that small disadvantages CodeBlocks was still the best posible solution, but since 2 years there are no CodeBlocks releases, which means at least for me it´s dead.
This is not entirely true. C::B Nighly are constantly being built. See this forum link. Dunno why they do not do a General release which gives them bad PR.
Already had this discusion on C::B forum, but I never use beta versions, and Nighly builds are just beta versions.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
gtafan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm
doublemax wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I defenetly don´t want to register, since I am worcking ofline. Also not a fan of free versions of comercial software, since they can´t be good. I mean if the free version would be good who the f*** would waste money for comercial one? Also since a graphical GUI designer is the most important part, VS is defenetlly of no use for me.
With MSVC the difference is inside the licensing. Community edition of MSVC vs Pro has different licensing terms - what you can and can't link.
In terms of the compiler and the code produced - it is all the same.

And why the heck do you need a GUI designer for? Sizer code is simple enough to code by hand. ;-)

Thank you.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm Hi,
gtafan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm
doublemax wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 pm VS Community is free, even for commercial use, it just requires you to register it. The only limitation of the licence is that you're not allowed to link the CRTs statically.

With MSVC the difference is inside the licensing. Community edition of MSVC vs Pro has different licensing terms - what you can and can't link.
In terms of the compiler and the code produced - it is all the same.

And why the heck do you need a GUI designer for? Sizer code is simple enough to code by hand. ;-)

Thank you.
Sory, but looks like you have no idea what the word simple means.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Could you please enlighten me?

Thank you.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm Hi,
Could you please enlighten me?

Thank you.
Sizers is something that is not realyy worcking good in wxWidgets. There is only 1 real sizer type in some diferent combinations. It is really complicated or sometimes imposible to place the compenents the way you want, using sizers. I mean it´s defenetlly not simple.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
If you know basic XML or tree structure than it is definitely very simple.
Also curious - why do you say "There is only 1 real sizer type".

I did use many different sizers and they all work fine.

Thank you.
Kvaz1r
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Kvaz1r »

gtafan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm Also since a graphical GUI designer is the most important part, VS is defenetlly of no use for me.
You always can use external RAD tool, for example wxFormBuilder - https://github.com/wxFormBuilder/wxFormBuilder with any IDE.
gtafan
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by gtafan »

Kvaz1r wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm
gtafan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm Also since a graphical GUI designer is the most important part, VS is defenetlly of no use for me.
You always can use external RAD tool, for example wxFormBuilder - https://github.com/wxFormBuilder/wxFormBuilder with any IDE.
Even doing everithing manually is still simpler then using that external sh*t.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Not for the beginner. ;-)
I started working with wx around 2005 and picked wxGlade. Used it for maybe 1.5 years.
After that - unless its a very complicated layout, that I need to visualize constantly - I'm doing it by hand.

Thank you.