wxHTML cells are 0 width/height with wxGTK3/Linux?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Mick P.
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxHTML cells are 0 width/height with wxGTK3/Linux?

Post by Mick P. »

Sorry to ask. My last hours I've been slowly (gdb) stepping through wxHTML code to try to figure out why it doesn't work like wxMSW to generate a page size matching the document's or display any content...

From what I can tell the InitParser uses a system font that has a basic nonzero width and height, but beyond this CreateLayout that is supposed to get the final size of the root cell shows all of the cells having what amounts to 0 width and height. So the final size ends up being the window size, and there is nothing to display.

The document doesn't specify a font anywhere, but that shouldn't be a showstopper. I don't use fonts elsewhere in my application, so it's very possible they wouldn't work in any control. I don't know. The menus and toolbars work, but I don't use any other classical elements because everything else is OpenGL.

(I had some problem with displaying the wxHtmlWindow over wxGLCanvas but I seem to have gotten it to display a white background without text by copy/pasting some code from wxWindowGTK::GTKSendPaintEvents that draws "composite children". I think wxGTK discriminates against so called children when they don't have a transparent background setting, not drawing them, but I don't know how else it would draw them. The HTML element can't be set to have a transparent background--its code forcibly sets its background style and GTK doesn't allow changing background styles.)
doublemax

Re: wxHTML cells are 0 width/height with wxGTK3/Linux?

Post by doublemax »

Please try your html code in a "normal" wxWidgets application first. I'm sure it'll work there.

I don't work under Linux, but i have a faint memory that under GTK the size of a window is only known at a later time than under Windows. Which sounds like it could be the cause for your issue. Try looking in that direction. If that's not it, i don't have any other idea.

Usually i'd ask for a code sample, but as your application is doing things totally differently, that probably wouldn't help anyway.
Use the source, Luke!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

doublemax,
I don't think it will help in either case - this guy will never provide any code sample. ;-)

Thank you.
Mick P.
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Mick P. »

Thanks guys. I think I should delete this topic since the problem was the new C++11 vsnprintf specification returns a positive value on buffer overflow instead of the old negative error indicator. wxWidgets initializes the HTML document with a dummy html string that looked like mine as truncated in the debugger. Sorry.

EDITED: I should add the vsnprintf code isn't in wxWidgets, and I think Visual Studio's vsnprintf doesn't conform to C++11's specification, hence why it works as expected in the Win32 version.

EDITED: Oops, meant vsnprintf, wrote snprintf.