Best printing for my needs

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Wolfgang
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Best printing for my needs

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello, now I have a question which is the best way to implement a printing for my application?

My needs: Two columns of text, with headings, and inside a line some bigger text as well, footnotes marker inside text, and footnotes generated below a line at the same page, and automated page break. Automated numbering of the pages, giving a startpage for numbering. Generate the index page automatically.

I guess that was all I need.

I saw the wxhtmlframework, and also the wxpdfprint? which one would be the easier and which one gives all possibilities?
Or is there another better way.
doublemax

Re: Best printing for my needs

Post by doublemax »

What you need is a complete word processor :)

There is nothing in wxWidgets that support things like foot notes and automatic index creation.

For the printing itself, wxHTMEasyPrinting is the easiest way to go, but you'll need to implement above mentioned things yourself.

Another option would be wxRichTextCtrl which is closer in functionality to a word processor. But it still doesn't support those features.
Use the source, Luke!
Wolfgang
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Wolfgang »

I thought allready about the footnotes that I have to create them myself, that should be possible, the problem I see mainly is a line and the automatic page split.

But you are right I'm coming from a wordprocessor and want to get the best printing possible.
Wolfgang
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Wolfgang »

Sorry the one I also did find was wxPDFDocument, would this a solution for it?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I'm not too familiar with wxPdfDocument, but looking through the docs, it could be an option. But AFAICS it doesn't support high-level functions like automatic index generation either.
Use the source, Luke!
utelle

Post by utelle »

doublemax wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:57 pm I'm not too familiar with wxPdfDocument, but looking through the docs, it could be an option.
Of course, it heavily depends on the actual requirements. Personally, I use wxPdfDocument for almost all my reporting tasks - however, that's not a big surprise being the author of wxPdfDocument. :)
doublemax wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:57 pm But AFAICS it doesn't support high-level functions like automatic index generation either.
This is true. There is no support for automatically generating an index (resp table of content) page. However, it is easy to use the PDF bookmark feature. That is, creating a treeview of bookmarks for document navigation can be accomplished easily.

wxPdfPrinter (I guess it was meant by wxpdfprint in the first post) is based on wxPdfDocument. This allows to make use of wxWidgets' printing framework. However, that approach makes is (more) difficult to use special features of wxPdfDocument like bookmarks.

For high level documents maybe Pandoc could be an option.

Regards,

Ulrich