Plotting scatterplots

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
escanor
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Plotting scatterplots

Post by escanor »

Hi All,

I have never done any sort of plotting on wxwidgets and I now need to add some scatter plots to my application.
I need to be able to do a live simulation on the graph so I need it to be in real-time.
Does anyone have any experience updating a live graph using some widgets?

Thanks,
doublemax

Re: Plotting scatterplots

Post by doublemax »

There are a few plotting libraries for wxWidgets:
https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Graphics#Graphing_Functions

But i've never used any of them, so i can't make any recommendations or even say if they're suitable for your purpose.

But depending on what you need, writing something on your own shouldn't be too hard. And it would give you total control over the performance.
Use the source, Luke!
escanor
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by escanor »

Thanks for getting back, I was able to get something rough working with wxCharts but I haven't gotten to the 'real-time' performance portion yet. Would be awesome if someone else has used wxCharts for something like this in the past. I'll keep the thread open for a few days and see if anyone gets back.

Also, a few things I found out after doing some research (might be useful to someone who comes across this in the future).

1) It is possible to use matplotlib with C++ but you have to do some linking with python.
2) You can actually even call matlab functions from within C++.

Unfortunately 1,2 would not be possible for my application. Perhaps this will help someone in the future.
Kvaz1r
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Kvaz1r »

As for wxCharts...if chosen chart type has support of updating chart data you can update it by timer or whenever it needs. From sample.