Clarification on wxGTK Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Nick
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Clarification on wxGTK

Post by Nick »

https://www.wxwidgets.org/docs/faq/gtk/

I couldn't quite understand what it is wxGTK

Doubt 1: wxGTK Is it dependency to install wxWidgets? If it's dependency: Where do I download it?

My question is because when looking at the only packages available for Slackware, being the same version, they are completely different and different versions.
wxGTK3-3.0.4-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
wxGTK3-3.0.4-x86_64-1alien.tgz

That way I can't trust it. Which is why I want to understand about her myself.
The Explanation given on the link above the wxWidgets website does not say much.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clarification on wxGTK

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
wxGTK Is it dependency to install wxWidgets?
wxGTK is wxWidgets. It's the standard wxWidgets for Linux, just as wxMSW is the one for Windows, wxMac for OSX.
(That's a simplification but it's true enough for normal use.)
My question is because when looking at the only packages available for Slackware, being the same version, they are completely different and different versions.
Except for building my own package, I don't use slackware.; but, judging by the package sizes, wxGTK3-3.0.4-x86_64-1alien.tgz is the wxGTK binary package, while wxGTK3-3.0.4-x86_64-1_slonly.txz is only the slackbuild.
The Explanation given on the link above the wxWidgets website does not say much.
Why should it? The wx website is about wx, not about slackware packaging.

Regards,

David
Nick
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Nick »

DavidHart wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:30 am Hi,
wxGTK Is it dependency to install wxWidgets?
wxGTK is wxWidgets. It's the standard wxWidgets for Linux, just as wxMSW is the one for Windows, wxMac for OSX.
(That's a simplification but it's true enough for normal use.)
To better understand, on a clean system, I just installed wxWidgets v.3.1.2 and compiled a Hello Word. That is, this wxGTK is not required.
So I understand that what you mean is that this wxGTK is not exactly from wxWidgets. It is a private Package, type created by someone else for some other reason.

I think I also understood that to program using wxWidgets, all I need is just the wxWidgets Source that I downloaded from wxWidgets.
And of course g++ to compile.

Thanks
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

So I understand that what you mean is that this wxGTK is not exactly from wxWidgets.
No, that's not accurate.
I just installed wxWidgets v.3.1.2 and compiled a Hello Word.
Not quite. You mean that you downloaded the wxWidgets source tarball; then you built it; then you were able to compile a Hello Word program against wxWidgets.
So I understand that what you mean is that this wxGTK is not exactly from wxWidgets.
No, I mean that 'wxGTK' is the label used for a compiled wxWidgets; one that is built to run on Linux. If you use Linux, 'wxGTK' == 'compiled wxWidgets'
It is a private Package, type created by someone else for some other reason.
It is a wxWidgets package, built to work on Linux (specifically on slackware 14.2), and available for any other slackware user to use. Most distros do that sort of thing: e.g. debian has a repository of binary packages, including wxGTK, that work on that version of debian, so that people don't need to build their own (unless they want to, or prefer a different wx version, or...).