Add widgets in code or using the codeblocks gui?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
vanarieleyen
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Add widgets in code or using the codeblocks gui?

Post by vanarieleyen »

I am used to using a gui to build the interface of my programs but I start to doubt if it is really very handy.

First of all I am missing a lot of widgets in the codeblocks interface, or am I missing something?

Secondly most examples and tutorials take the 'manual' approach of adding widgets in the program.

I also noticed that the visual designer seems a bit buggy... For instance when I add a simple wxBoxSizer to an empty wxFrame and add a wxPanel to that sizer I can not add any more widgets to the sizer. While when I do it manually in my code it is not a problem.

So how do you think about both approaches? Should I drop the visual designer and go for the 'manual' approach?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Add widgets in code or using the codeblocks gui?

Post by PB »

There may be a third option: I am not familiar with Code::Blocks (nor wxSmith) but I believe you can use wxFormBuilder with C:B as well, even if it is probably not as integrated as wxSmith.

wxFormBuilder is not perfect but a visual tool is often handy and preferable to doing the form layout by hand. In the end it probably comes down to personal preferences and needs.