Certain methods not working under Linux Mint Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Certain methods not working under Linux Mint

Post by DavidHart »

copied the wx-config commands from the terminal directly into the compiler and linker flags
That also works, of course, but it's not as easy to keep updated e.g. when you change wx versions or builds.
instead of using 'wx-config --cxxflags'
I expect you realise, but that should be

Code: Select all

`wx-config --cxxflags`
that is: backticks, not single-quotes.
Ksawery
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Ksawery »

Yes, I believe they were back ticks, since I copied them directly from the browser. For some reason they just didn't want to work.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Another comment, more to prevent confusion in future readers of this thread:

As you now have a 'local' wx install, in /full/path/to/gtk-build/, you must somehow tell C::B how to use it. The simple way is to replace
`wx-config --cxxflags`
with

Code: Select all

`/full/path/to/gtk-build/wx-config --cxxflags`
(and similarly for wx-config --libs in the Linker section)

The less simple way is to find how C::B sets its PATH variable (if it has such a setting) and prepend to it /full/path/to/gtk-build/wx-config.
Ksawery
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Ksawery »

Thank you. Also, for any people having issues with conflicting versions of wxWidgets installed on their system, the following instructions helped me a lot:

http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/How_to_uninstall_wxWidgets

The -rm commands helped me make sure that no older versions are present on my system; which Code::Blocks tries to access by default in the system files, I believe. I also removed and re-installed Code::Blocks, and everything worked well after that.

Ksawery
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

The -rm commands helped me make sure that no older versions are present on my system
Er, yes; but as the first section of that link says:
If you installed wxWidgets through your distro's packages (rpm, deb, tgz, ebuild...) just uninstall it normally.
You almost certainly had the official Mint wx3.0.4 package installed, so it would have been easier/safer to uninstall it.

The other thing to mention, relevant to debian-based distros in particular, is to use 'update-alternatives' to select which of several installed wx versions is active. To see what's available you'd do:
sudo update-alternatives --display wx-config
To select one of these:
sudo update-alternatives --config wx-config
Ksawery
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Ksawery »

After installing different versions of wxWidgets, as well as Code::Blocks, running make install, and then make uninstall several times, and installing/uninstalling several packages, I wanted to start from scratch, since things simply didn't want to work. I messed something up, somewhere. So I had to resort to removing files manually, and luckily that solved my problems. But yes, I did it as a last resort.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Well, it looks like C::B on *nix only resolves wxWidgets as installed package. You can use the self-compiled library if its not installed.

Sad, but true.

Thank you.