OpenGL Pyramid Sample &

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
hypnos_nhendricks
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

OpenGL Pyramid Sample &

Post by hypnos_nhendricks »

I'm doing a preliminary review of WxWidgets for viability on a project. After cloning from git locally, I used cmake to build the Visual Studio projects and compiled WxWidgets. It seems the default settings to compile wxWidgets is for DLL usage.

However, I then tried a couple of the sample apps that come with WxWidgets and ran into some issues:
1. There doesn't appear to be cmake files for these & the VS project files are out of date.
2. The project files provided want to use static libs instead of the DLL libs that are generated using cmake/visual studio to build wiWidgtes.

I suspect I must be doing something wrong or am missing some key steps. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
In general, downloading software and setting up their build system and sample apps is pretty straightforward, so I suspect I'm missing some key steps for WxWidgtes.

Thanks!
Nick
doublemax

Re: OpenGL Pyramid Sample &

Post by doublemax »

In general, cmake support is relatively new and may be incomplete.
1. There doesn't appear to be cmake files for these & the VS project files are out of date.
That's normal, the older project files should still work even for the latest VS version.
2. The project files provided want to use static libs instead of the DLL libs that are generated using cmake/visual studio to build wiWidgtes.
The project files contain multiple configurations for all possible combinations DLL/static, Debug/release.
Use the source, Luke!
hypnos_nhendricks
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by hypnos_nhendricks »

Thanks! I got the DLL version working by manually copying the DLLs from the wxWidgets lib folder into the output folder of the opengl/pyramid sample.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Also keep in mind that you don't have to use CMake to build the wxWidgets with MSVC. You can use provided solutions that can be found in the wxWidgets_main_dir\build\msw.

When you open the appropriate solution for your MSVC version you can do "Build->Batch Build..." and select the configuration that best suits you need - Debug/Release, static/DLL.

Then whe you open the sample project files you can change the build type and use the appropriate configuration.

It will simplify the build and hopefully decrease the build time, since you won't need to run extra tool (CMake).

Thank you.