interfacing with builder created gui code?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
soundhound
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

interfacing with builder created gui code?

Post by soundhound »

hello folks,

I'm updating a language binding to WxW at the moment and translating a couple of the samples.
and contemplating the use of a gui builder and the means of interacting with its output.

here's how I would 'like' a gui builder to work:
o create an interface with a mature C++ builder.
- I specifically don't want to have to embed source code snippets through the builder
- rather, specify symbols/function names to be called, or give specific names to a gui generated entry point
- to get type safety, header file supplied by user or generated for inclusion in user code to match above
o user writes C/C++ stubs whose compiled objects will link with the monolithically built gui object file
o the stubs provide input to a controlling language runtime event loop

is this at all how they work in practice? :idea:
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: interfacing with builder created gui code?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You can try to look at wxGlade (it is written in wxPython) and see how it operates.

Thank you.
soundhound
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by soundhound »

thanks but a quick look at the intro suggests wxglade is interface design only, not about hooking the generated code into one's application.
I was hoping for some insights here into how these tools in general facilitate the latter activity.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Some Form Designers embed their code into yours. Others create a 'base' class for the gui. You then derive from that, so your code is separate.

I use wxCrafter (with CodeLite) that uses the second method. wxFormbuilder does, or can be told to do, much the same. See https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Tools for a list of IDEs/RADs.

Regards,

David